45ACP
9mm
38/357
other/smaller
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your carry caliber?
06-26-2014, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 05:25 PM by RJDSRT.)
width=
Question Your carry caliber?
What caliber do you load up for personal protection? A lot of folks are carrying .380's these days because the 380 guns are so concealable, but the ammunition does not meet a lot of testing standards that the bigger calibers will provide. So what is your minimum caliber? In my opinion, having 2 shots of .22 in a derringer is better than the 15 rounds of 45acp that I left at home because it was too bulky to carry. Alien

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

[Image: ARRED.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2014, 07:53 PM
width=
RE: Your carry caliber?
I don't carry yet but when I do it will be 9mm
Find all posts by this user
06-26-2014, 09:26 PM
width=
good choice! Why the 9mm?

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

06-27-2014, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 03:34 PM by bls.)
width=
I like the 9mm too. Availability, cost, good recoil to power ratio, and from what I've read 9mm bullets in modern self defense configurations deliver adequate stopping power for a handgun.

As far as .380 goes, here is a fantastic website that did some pretty great testing on a variety of .380 self defense loads. I especially appreciated that the tester here used a gun I am seriously considering as a pocket pistol (the Taurus TCP) but I believe that this series of tests is applicable to any short barreled .380 handgun. Hope you guys find this helpful:

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-re...mmo-quest/
06-27-2014, 03:13 PM
width=
(06-26-2014 09:26 PM)RJDSRT Wrote:  good choice! Why the 9mm?

That's what the Shield is and P250. Next piece will be a 45
06-27-2014, 11:22 PM
width=
How do you like that shield, Mike?

06-28-2014, 10:10 AM
width=
I like it a lot. Not much recoil, I think I've had failure (FTE) in or around 1000 rounds. Pretty darn accurate(much more than I am) and just fun at the range. Thin too. My friend just picked up a G26 that I'm going to shoot in a few weeks at McMillers.
06-28-2014, 10:15 AM
width=
I have heard great things about them. I was between the shield and the beretta nano, I went with the nano. Maybe ill revisit the s&w!

06-28-2014, 03:46 PM
width=
Pretty sure you wouldnt be disappointed.
07-07-2014, 05:00 PM
width=
(06-26-2014 05:22 PM)RJDSRT Wrote:  In my opinion, having 2 shots of .22 in a derringer is better than the 15 rounds of 45acp that I left at home because it was too bulky to carry. Alien

If you have a pistol that holds a 15 round 45 magazine no wonder you leave it at home. Smile
07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
width=
FNX 45 was the largest practical handgun I could think of at that moment - 15 round mag

09-15-2014, 10:40 AM
width=
Soon as I get my permit, I'll be carrying the XDs-45. But I've been looking at the s&w bodyguard 380, but I'm not sure how I feel about the DAO. I'd like to be able to shoot one of these, but I think a FNX-9 is next in line
09-29-2014, 04:01 PM
width=
When I get my permit I will be carrying a Sig P938 mostly so 9mm. My wife will probably carry a .38 revolver. I also have a .25acp I'll keep handy.
09-29-2014, 08:08 PM
width=
Lots of love for the 9mm! Smile

09-30-2014, 07:31 AM
width=
Yeah for real! I would have put money on it being a little more evenly split with the .45 but I'm thinking everybody's preferring the extra rounds and reduced recoil

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

— Luke 22:36, NIV
09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
width=
Ok... I hvae two options, the FNS-9mm with 17 round magazine or the Ruger LC9S with 7 or 9 rd magazines. Right now I am leaning to the Ruger because it is much smaller. My question is how many spare magazines do people carry if any? With the FNS-9 I'd be comfortable without an extra magazine. With the Ruger, I am thinking I need at least 1, maybe 2. What are you guys planning on carrying?
09-30-2014, 08:14 AM
width=
For my XDs I'll have the 5+1 loaded, and the 7 round extended mag as the backup... If I carried the fns-9 I'd agree with you and maybe just leave the second mag in the car.

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

09-30-2014, 11:50 PM
width=
I'm a 9 fan

Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
10-01-2014, 08:03 AM
width=
Quote:Soon as I get my permit, I'll be carrying the XDs-45....
For my XDs I'll have the 5+1 loaded, and the 7 round extended mag as the backup

That's what I have and how I carry it.

Quote:When I get my permit I will be carrying a Sig P938, 9mm

That's what my wife carries.
10-01-2014, 08:36 AM
width=
My friend was looking at the p938. Any of you guys have anything bad to say about it? Good things too.

Dutz, do you have a preferred ammo that you use for carry? Or tested anything that you didn't like through the XDs?