Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding Powder
11-25-2014, 03:27 PM,
Finding Powder
Threads: 10
Not a day goes by and I hear "I cant find any powder". My response is generally going to have two prongs. 1) Get out of your rut, Bullseye, Titegroup (if you want to blow up your .40 go ahead), Win-231, Power Pistol, CFE Pistol, Vhit N320, N340 are all going to be impossible to find. Adapt, go with the flow, you may find there is a better world out there.
2) It's not gong to always be on the shelf, be willing to cut a backorder for 8 to 16 lbs of it and share it with your other sport shooters who, like you, really just need 2-3 lbs. Also spend some time once in a while looking at vendors. Powder Valley, Recobb's and the rest get powder in all the time. Yes it goes fast but its there. The picture is of 16 lbs of IMR-700x, my preferred powder for .45 ACP. That's right, a commercial reloader who prefers a 12 ga. shotgun powder. 800x is great in .44's, Red Dot and Green Dot play well in .380's all the way through .45's, and by the way, Red Dot is just as clean as Bullseye. When things loosen up, I doubt I will go back to "Pistol" powders.

Next week, 16lbs of BL-C(2) will arrive via the same means the 700x got here today. For those who have taken my Reloading class, you know I pass out a two page document with sources and methods for finding components at the best prices. I'm an FFL, yes, and I do get orders directly from Western Powders, and Black Hills and all the rest but I also get it from the same places everyone else can and does. Don't give up, don't get lazy and get out of your rut if you are in one.

Regards,
Lynn

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2) It's not gong to always be on the shelf, be willing to cut a backorder for 8 to 16 lbs of it and share it with your other sport shooters who, like you, really just need 2-3 lbs. Also spend some time once in a while looking at vendors. Powder Valley, Recobb's and the rest get powder in all the time. Yes it goes fast but its there. The picture is of 16 lbs of IMR-700x, my preferred powder for .45 ACP. That's right, a commercial reloader who prefers a 12 ga. shotgun powder. 800x is great in .44's, Red Dot and Green Dot play well in .380's all the way through .45's, and by the way, Red Dot is just as clean as Bullseye. When things loosen up, I doubt I will go back to "Pistol" powders.

Next week, 16lbs of BL-C(2) will arrive via the same means the 700x got here today. For those who have taken my Reloading class, you know I pass out a two page document with sources and methods for finding components at the best prices. I'm an FFL, yes, and I do get orders directly from Western Powders, and Black Hills and all the rest but I also get it from the same places everyone else can and does. Don't give up, don't get lazy and get out of your rut if you are in one.

Regards,
Lynn

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Website Find
11-26-2014, 12:43 AM,
RE: Finding Powder
Threads: 54
Thanks for the heads up, just brought the reloader and I am having a hell of a time buying powder it's kinda a buzz kill. Patience is a virtue.
Find
11-26-2014, 01:09 PM,
Bought some 700x super stoked, I think the rest of the components will be gravy
Find
11-26-2014, 02:46 PM,
Threads: 10
Absolutely. Bullets are easy, I use a lot of Xtreme Bullet Co bullets for plated pistol work as well as 55 Gr FMJ in .224. Acmebullets.com is great for any lead bullets you might need. Primers are easy now so you should be in great shape.
Website Find
11-28-2014, 10:46 AM,
Threads: 124
It is interesting that a lot of powders are still in short supply. I'm patient. I placed an order about 2 months ago, and I am figuring I will have powder within the next month or two.

It would be nice if there were so much available in the future, prices would come down. Ammunition is starting to become more reasonable. However, 22LR is still not one the shelves at all, let alone reasonably priced.

It will probably become available in the next year, just in time for another election buying panic to hit. Ugh...
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

It would be nice if there were so much available in the future, prices would come down. Ammunition is starting to become more reasonable. However, 22LR is still not one the shelves at all, let alone reasonably priced.

It will probably become available in the next year, just in time for another election buying panic to hit. Ugh...
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
08-16-2015, 10:15 AM,
Threads: 8
Had a difficult time finding powder as well. Checked out the Lake County Gun & Sportsman Show when it was over in Antioch this past oct 4. The show itself wasn't that great. But, there was a vendor that had TONS of powder. Prices were extremely competitive and no hazmat shipping fee.

Maybe try and call the show organizers and get the vendors name. Might be a good resource for this forum to keep a list of vendors and make it a sticky.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” - Mark Twain

Maybe try and call the show organizers and get the vendors name. Might be a good resource for this forum to keep a list of vendors and make it a sticky.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” - Mark Twain
Find
08-16-2015, 10:29 AM,
Finding Powder
Threads: 82
I see a ton of rifle powder at Cabelas, RDA, and even Bass Pro but places like Gander Mountain are bone dry. Pistol powder is still scarce but I've been able to get a pound here and there to keep going.
Find
08-16-2015, 11:15 AM,
Threads: 376
(08-16-2015, 10:29 AM)AcilletaM Wrote: I see a ton of rifle powder at Cabelas, RDA, and even Bass Pro but places like Gander Mountain are bone dry. Pistol powder is still scarce but I've been able to get a pound here and there to keep going.

Here in the PNW, we have lots of Powder. Packed shelves at Cabelas, and at our local gun shops.
(08-16-2015, 10:29 AM)AcilletaM Wrote: I see a ton of rifle powder at Cabelas, RDA, and even Bass Pro but places like Gander Mountain are bone dry. Pistol powder is still scarce but I've been able to get a pound here and there to keep going.
Here in the PNW, we have lots of Powder. Packed shelves at Cabelas, and at our local gun shops.
Find
08-16-2015, 01:26 PM,
Threads: 124
I am out of Varget... Which is what I have been using in my .308x51 rounds. Most other components seem to be available. Primers and Bullets seem to be available.
Find
08-16-2015, 01:51 PM,
Threads: 207
We've been seeing a little more powder on the market, but, not enough interest from the public yet to carry much more. If we can move more, we will start to carry more.
Find
08-19-2015, 12:45 AM,
Is the web site updated with them? The reason why I ask is at the range people are always talking about powder and where to get it near by so they so they dont need to pay the extra shipping.
Find
09-07-2015, 11:42 AM,
Threads: 207
yes, the site is update live with what we have.
Find