Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Examples of Bad Brass
11-03-2014, 05:14 PM,
Examples of Bad Brass
Threads: 10

The picture is of the base of an S&B .45 ACP case with an off center flash hole. The result of loading this on a Super 1050 that primes on the down stroke is a big pop and a decision point about whether it's necessary to change your underwear or not... The anvil stayed in and the new primer did not like the company. Anyone else had fun like this? If so post any examples of what you don't like to load or what has given you trouble.

The picture is of the base of an S&B .45 ACP case with an off center flash hole. The result of loading this on a Super 1050 that primes on the down stroke is a big pop and a decision point about whether it's necessary to change your underwear or not... The anvil stayed in and the new primer did not like the company. Anyone else had fun like this? If so post any examples of what you don't like to load or what has given you trouble.
Website Find
11-03-2014, 06:31 PM,
RE: Examples of Bad Brass
Threads: 124
No, but it is a good warning! I check every single piece of brass after it is tumbled, and anything that doesn't look perfect I don't use. I'm not skilled enough to know what will work or what will not, so anything questionable I put in the discard coffee can. Sometimes I can't really tell without a magnifying glass and until after its cleaned.

I like clean underwear... LOL
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

I like clean underwear... LOL
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
11-03-2014, 07:52 PM,
That discard coffee can is worth money. Your spent primers are brass by the way so don't throw those out. I just took three 1 Gallon zip lock bags full or .22 LR spent brass, primers and my rifle/pistol discarded brass to Behr in Woodstock. $1.47/lb. $63 total. I do that once a month. Pays for about 750 124 Gr PRN bullets from Xtreme...
Website Find
11-03-2014, 08:34 PM,
Threads: 21
(11-03-2014, 05:14 PM)Ammo Lynn Wrote: The picture is of the base of an S&B .45 ACP case with an off center flash hole. The result of loading this on a Super 1050 that primes on the down stroke is a big pop and a decision point about whether it's necessary to change your underwear or not... The anvil stayed in and the new primer did not like the company. Anyone else had fun like this? If so post any examples of what you don't like to load or what has given you trouble.

Great example! I have't reloaded since I was a kid helping my older brother reload shotgun shell's. However I check everything I put in my gun. If I have any doubt at all I set it aside. I've given several pounds of unspent cartridges to a friend of min who does reload. I usually get a box of something comped back every now and then.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
(11-03-2014, 05:14 PM)Ammo Lynn Wrote: The picture is of the base of an S&B .45 ACP case with an off center flash hole. The result of loading this on a Super 1050 that primes on the down stroke is a big pop and a decision point about whether it's necessary to change your underwear or not... The anvil stayed in and the new primer did not like the company. Anyone else had fun like this? If so post any examples of what you don't like to load or what has given you trouble.
Great example! I have't reloaded since I was a kid helping my older brother reload shotgun shell's. However I check everything I put in my gun. If I have any doubt at all I set it aside. I've given several pounds of unspent cartridges to a friend of min who does reload. I usually get a box of something comped back every now and then.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
Find
11-04-2014, 12:08 AM,
hmmm... I've been discarding the spend primers. How many spent primers to a pound? Has to be a lot. Thanks for the information on where to take the brass for recycling!
Find
11-04-2014, 12:16 AM,
I have never counted them but figure that a gallon bag of nothing but primers weighs a good 12 lb or more. You are probably looking at 3000 small and 2500 large to the pound. I am making about 8,000 a week between 9mm and .45ACP so it adds up pretty quickly for me. Just keep putting them in the can and let them accumulate. It turns into a nice bonus every once in a while. Also you have to call and check, everyone is different in price . Behr in Woodstock, Dimco in DeKalb, a recycle in Elgin and the recycler in Crystal Lake have all been up and down, so checking around will generally make you another $0.20/lb. DeKalb and Woodstock are pretty good lately. Sometimes just to mess with them, I tumble my .22's. Sort of makes up for the dingy primers. I think it helps but probably not..
Website Find
11-04-2014, 08:32 AM,
I'm not reloading anywhere near enough... Heck, I doubt I'd fill that coffee can with enough bad brass in a year. There are maybe 40 casings in it now. I am really just reloading the .308x51 rounds. But I will start saving my 22LR brass now.
Find
11-04-2014, 09:39 AM,
Threads: 56
I have never saved any brass and haven't gotten into reloading yet but that is a nice score getting them recycled!
Find
11-04-2014, 06:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014, 06:42 PM by AcilletaM.)
Threads: 82
Even if you don't reload recycling your own brass is better than Bass Pro doing it on your behalf and pocketing the money. Just think of it as getting your deposit back on the ammo.
Find
11-04-2014, 09:43 PM,
Photo  RE: Examples of Bad Brass
Photo 
Along the lines of brass we need to be careful of, here is a nickel plated .38 Spcl. When Nickel is plated to the brass, the case is stressed during the firing process because the nickel expands at a different rate than the brass, essentially the case is more brittle. The result is fewer reloadings before what you see in the picture occurs. In this case, 42 out of 50 failed on reloading #9 where brass cases just keep on going. The idea behind nickel is that it's smoother and chambers more reliably, but at the price of longevity...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Website Find