Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AK v AR15 for SHTF?
10-24-2014, 01:36 PM,
AK v AR15 for SHTF?
Threads: 124
I've chosen the AR15 over the AK47 platform for the following reasons, Accuracy, Scope ability, Spare Parts and Long Term Ammo availability in the USA.

I do like the AK47's legendary reliability. I do like the 7.62x39mm round better as well. But after that, what is to like? The platform is heavier. Ammunition will be hard to come by, and so will spare parts (not that you are likely to need them).

I prefer the accuracy of the AR15 at 250-600 yards (doubtful it is much good beyond that IMHO). The ammo is lighter weight and MADE in the USA and everywhere. Spare parts are everywhere as well. The rifle is not as reliable, but if maintained well, I think it is the clear choice for SHTF over an AK47.

Did I miss anything? I'll hunker down in my foxhole now with my .308x51mm while both sides shoot at me...
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

I do like the AK47's legendary reliability. I do like the 7.62x39mm round better as well. But after that, what is to like? The platform is heavier. Ammunition will be hard to come by, and so will spare parts (not that you are likely to need them).

I prefer the accuracy of the AR15 at 250-600 yards (doubtful it is much good beyond that IMHO). The ammo is lighter weight and MADE in the USA and everywhere. Spare parts are everywhere as well. The rifle is not as reliable, but if maintained well, I think it is the clear choice for SHTF over an AK47.

Did I miss anything? I'll hunker down in my foxhole now with my .308x51mm while both sides shoot at me...
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
10-24-2014, 06:05 PM,
RE: AK v AR15 for SHTF?
Threads: 21
I prefer less weight so I'll go with an AR, also ammo is probably half the weight and size of 7.62x39.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
Find
10-25-2014, 12:59 PM,
Threads: 54
Personally I like the ak. The ammo us super cheap so it's easy to stock up. It's a pretty popular round so I would think you will still come across it. But the main perk is the durability of the gun. In a shtf situation I would prefer a gun that goes bang every time you press the trigger. I have shot it at 100 and it was fine, I want to try 200 soon
Find
10-25-2014, 02:03 PM,
You would have to stock up a lot. I don't know anyone that even has the reloading stuff to do it, so I am guessing that's out. And when SHTF there will not be anyone making that ammo in the USA. We shall see if in a year or two the ban on 7.62x39mm ammunition imports makes the ammunition a lot more scarce. An AK should be reasonable out to 250 yards, IMHO.

It's a choice. I looked at getting one, but have decided against it.

It's a choice. I looked at getting one, but have decided against it.
Find
10-25-2014, 02:37 PM,
Threads: 53
I still want one, but the ar is my choice out of the two. Ammunition and parts being the reason. Along with weight. The only reason I'd really want the ak over the ar would be trying to shoot through walls. Lol but I think overall the ar-15 fits my style a little better. Plus I get to build it =]

And I've heard of this ban a few times... Are they trying to ban the gun, or just the ammo supply?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

— Luke 22:36, NIV

And I've heard of this ban a few times... Are they trying to ban the gun, or just the ammo supply?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

Find
10-25-2014, 02:48 PM,
I thought that ban was just on russian built weapons. I know tulamo is still in stores, and they have companies in Spain and i would believe other Euro countries. But you can reload it, if you get the brass which US 3-4 Times the price. Currently I don't see the point in buying 20 round for 22 dollars when I can buy the same in steel fir 6 bucks
Find
10-25-2014, 03:12 PM,
Threads: 53
That would make sense if it was just banning the Russian supplies. Either way I would like to have both guns. Lol I think I'd still grab the ar though for the shtf. Not sure, I'll have to wait till I have sufficient experience with both.. But from where I sit now ar.

Just for being able to dot and have fun though, ak would be the most cost effective route!

Just for being able to dot and have fun though, ak would be the most cost effective route!

Find
10-25-2014, 03:26 PM,
Yea they are cheaper, and I got an awesome deal on mine so it was extra good. The ar platform interest me. But I gear the 223 and 556 are pretty unimpressive rounds. That than leaves 308 which I do like, but than cost of ammo kicks in. I have some steel cased 308 but it's still double the cost of 7.62x39
Find
10-25-2014, 03:53 PM,
Pretty much all guns, gun parts and all ammunition from the USSR or from Russian OWNED companies imports are banned.

Anything in the US is currently can be bought and sold. Reloading dies are available.

We shall see how supply and prices are effected in the future.

Anything in the US is currently can be bought and sold. Reloading dies are available.

We shall see how supply and prices are effected in the future.
Find
12-12-2014, 11:41 AM,
Bump, I am surprised that this didn't get more responses. I am still good with the ak. I don't think the ammo issue is as big as people think it is. If the world goes mad max ammo across the board will be hard to come by. There is plenty here already. If there was ever a total ban, the Russian makers would probably move shop to another country. Or some one would make the steel ammo here most likely.
Find
12-13-2014, 12:06 AM,
An AK is reliable. Accurate beyond 250 yds, not in my opinion. It is heavier, and the 6 full magazines weighs a lot. As for ammo, I am not a fan of steel case. It is harder on guns. For SHTF all 7.62x39 ammo will dry up within a short period of time, as most of it is not made here. Same is true for Mosin-Nagant ammo. Althought Mosin brass can be reloaded.

I think you would be better served with a AR15 type rifle in SHTF but an AK47 is a reasonable choice. I know groups (like armies) like to standardize, but I think some variety is good. Personally I will carry a .308x51 rifle, as I assume most of those I will likely contact will be armed with AK's and AR's. I want to be able to out range them, negate cover and have a heavier hitting round than they do. I think the AR15's biggest advantage over the AK platform is OPTICS and other accessories. This just my humble opinion.

I think you would be better served with a AR15 type rifle in SHTF but an AK47 is a reasonable choice. I know groups (like armies) like to standardize, but I think some variety is good. Personally I will carry a .308x51 rifle, as I assume most of those I will likely contact will be armed with AK's and AR's. I want to be able to out range them, negate cover and have a heavier hitting round than they do. I think the AR15's biggest advantage over the AK platform is OPTICS and other accessories. This just my humble opinion.
Find
01-17-2015, 04:34 PM,
Threads: 35
If given a choice between AR and AK, I'm choosing hybrid. I'm speaking of the Zastava PAP M85 Krinkov. It features elements of both worlds. It has AK's vaunted reliability combined with the widely available 5.56x45mm ammo and uses AR-15 mags. Properly equipped it has the potential reach out to 150-200 yards. Where I live in West Virginia, you don't need it to be much more effective than that. Here a .30-30 is considered a long range rifle. You can't go 10 yards without running into a tree large enough to provide some amount of cover.
Find
01-17-2015, 05:49 PM,
That is why I prefer 7.62x51... trees are not cover against that round, it will go through a solid foot of tree. In closed terrain like WV, an AK makes sense, provided you have a stash of 7.62x39. I'd worry where you will find ammo for an AK in a year. AK's are reliable, aimed accurate fire is always the key, not spray and pray.
Find
01-17-2015, 07:28 PM,
Threads: 2
We use both here. That way we can scavenge either round that might be lying around should the need arise. 308 next on menu.
Find
01-18-2015, 03:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2015, 03:50 AM by rwhite135.)
Well, you can always get an AK variant in .308/7.62x51mm. Century International imports ones in that round, too. Their M77 PS being an example and is listed in their catalog as a hunting rifle. Dizzy
Find
01-19-2015, 05:26 PM,
I think either can work, I just feel an AR15 is a better platform for the following reasons, Optics, Long term ammo availability, Better range for aimed fire, and lighter ammunition.

It is a better choice IMHO. However, there is NOTHING wrong with an AK platform choice. I know some SHTF groups believe in commonality of weapons, I don't. I actually think small groups are better off with mixed weapon types.

I truly believe long term, .308x51 is the best round. Ask yourself this, if your opponents are armed with AK's and AR's, wouldn't you rather be armed with a .308 battle rifle? Cover negating, long range, hard hitting, superior firepower. In a true SHTF you will not be able to call upon heavy weapons to help your group. Be better armed than those you will face.

It is a better choice IMHO. However, there is NOTHING wrong with an AK platform choice. I know some SHTF groups believe in commonality of weapons, I don't. I actually think small groups are better off with mixed weapon types.

I truly believe long term, .308x51 is the best round. Ask yourself this, if your opponents are armed with AK's and AR's, wouldn't you rather be armed with a .308 battle rifle? Cover negating, long range, hard hitting, superior firepower. In a true SHTF you will not be able to call upon heavy weapons to help your group. Be better armed than those you will face.
Find
01-19-2015, 05:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2015, 05:37 PM by rwhite135.)
I'm a guy that thinks R. Lee Ermey is right that the military was stupid to dump the M-14 for the AR platform. With a little bit of retooling for using optics the M-14 outclasses the AR family. We were stupid to ever fall into the trap that everything we have in military small arms has to be ammo compatible with what NATO as a whole is using. They want to use an over-hyped centerfire .22 variant let them. We should have stuck with the more powerful round. The fact that we didn't is why I would go with the AK SBR in 5.56x45mm. There's just a bunch more of that ammo going around. If all things were equal then, yes, I'd go with the old 7.62x51mm NATO round.
Find
01-19-2015, 08:01 PM,
We agree... Although I have come to the opinion that a mixed .308 & 5.56 group is best. Things are never equal however. Mixed abilities gives every group an edge. And there is lots to be said for an AK being more reliable than an AR.

But give me .308x51 all the time. Take a look at the Ruger SR-762 as an example. Would you rather be carrying that than an AR15 or AK47?

But give me .308x51 all the time. Take a look at the Ruger SR-762 as an example. Would you rather be carrying that than an AR15 or AK47?
Find
01-19-2015, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 12:12 AM by rwhite135.)
Given the advances in polymer furniture for the AK and the terrain where I live, I'd prefer the AK over the AR-15. Like I said above if I had to use the 5.56mm, I'd still prefer an AK but in that case one of the pistol/SBR varieties. The IWI Tavor wouldn't be bad with some practice reloading it. With it you can have a 16" or 18" barrel in a package the size of a pistol/SBR. If it were a DMR situation then I might choose an AR-10 but I'd actually prefer a Galil for that if pre-order prices for the semi-auto ACE weren't so high. The same would hold for Springfield's M1A. I also like the new Sig 556xi. It combines the best of the AR with the best of the AK and can be charged from the left like a Galil making for reloading without having to take your trigger hand off the shooting position. It's too bad its only available in 5.56, 7.62x39, and .300 Blackout. It would be nice to see it in 7.62x51mm as well.
Find
01-20-2015, 12:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 12:46 AM by BelieveIn308.)
The Tavor is a good choice, no argument there. A bit pricy for what it is. I think I'd rather have the FN SCAR over the Tavor for the money. And in my mind an M1A is always an excellent choice (although I prefer the full sized rifle over the Socom). I do like the Ruger SR762 as it a very light piston driven 7.62x51 weapon platform (8.6 lbs). It has rapidly become a favorite of mine. Runs cool, no need to be run wet, works flawlessly, and is not much heavier than an AR15. Worth checking out. A very under-rated battle rifle using SR/LR308 Magpul magazines. It is my rifle of choice for SHTF.
Find