Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primer Tube Detonation
02-19-2016, 10:25 PM,
Primer Tube Detonation
Threads: 10
I had an interesting evening last night. I detonated a bit over 50 S&B Large Pistol Primers in the primer magazine of one of my Dillon 1050's. I have used 1050's for a long time and have heard of these events but never thought it would happen to me. I always thought they occurred because the operator experienced a primer jam (cocked in the slide carrying the primer) and tried to "force" his way out of it. Too much force on a primer and bang. So my rule has always been to stop if I sense too much force is being required. Last night I had made over 1000 rounds and had had some tilted primers which I would vacuum out of the slide and go on. Winchester and S&B cases sometimes produce a "ringer" which is the primer cup body seized to the side of the primer pocket while the bottom of the cup is punched out by the decapping pin. I had experienced 6 or 8 of these during this session and had felt the added resistance and stopped without a problem. Then came along this Fiochii .45 Auto case. Fiochii is great in the shot shell world but in the .223 world I know they sometimes have off center flash holes. Well they have the same problem in .45. The decapping pin slid in the off center hole, punched out the cup bit left the triangular shaped in the pocket. A nice no force down stroke on the 1050, and as the new primer tried to fill the same space, BANG, the new primer went off and the flash went back along the primer shuttle and lit the primers in the tube. A plastic rod that acts like a dipstick, was rocketed to the ceiling, and the teflon case tab was blown into. The first question that occurred to me after things quieted down was... "Is it time to change my underwear?" The big lesson learned here is always to have your eye protection on , and now I am thinking, hearing protection.. The primer tube is fused inside the protective outer tube. Dillon is replacing it all for free of course and would have even had I not been a Dillon Dealer, so its nice in that respect.
Website Find
02-21-2016, 10:45 PM,
RE: Primer Tube Detonation
Threads: 124
Lynn, could this have been worse with a lesser brand? And thanks for the warning about eye protection! I'd certainly need to change my underwear...
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
02-22-2016, 12:10 AM,
RE: Primer Tube Detonation
Threads: 10
I know that Lee Load Master actually supplies a guard to prevent this. I am thinking of a pair of flexible fingers that could prevent the flash from entering the shuttle....

This pretty much means I need to pre-process all my .45 through a machine, inspect the primer pockets and then load them... what a pain.

Lynn

This pretty much means I need to pre-process all my .45 through a machine, inspect the primer pockets and then load them... what a pain.

Lynn
Website Find