Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faraday cages for EMP...
08-14-2015, 01:37 PM,
Faraday cages for EMP...
Threads: 124
It is not everyday I recommend a product like this. But this is a perfect product for storing electronics you plan to shield from EMP attacks.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200621233

This tool box is all aluminum, welded seems, mine was water proof on 5 sides. It has an overhanging lip, is very light, and sturdy. Line it with 1/2" liner board and you are pretty much set. If you feel you want to make it super EMP proof, take some stranded copper wire and run it along the inside cover seal. Although mine was perfectly shielded as it cam from Northern Tool. Recommended.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200621233

This tool box is all aluminum, welded seems, mine was water proof on 5 sides. It has an overhanging lip, is very light, and sturdy. Line it with 1/2" liner board and you are pretty much set. If you feel you want to make it super EMP proof, take some stranded copper wire and run it along the inside cover seal. Although mine was perfectly shielded as it cam from Northern Tool. Recommended.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
08-14-2015, 08:45 PM,
Faraday cages for EMP...
Threads: 82
How do you test it?
Find
08-17-2015, 09:51 AM,
RE: Faraday cages for EMP...
Threads: 124
There are various tests you can perform.

First, if it fails this it will be NOT work period. Place a radio inside, a Shortwave receiver is better, and turn up the volume. Then close the box/cage. If you hear anything besides static, it failed. This does not mean it is EMP proof, but is a real good indicator.

After that you really have to have an EMP source to test it. Remember you do have to line the metal container with material to avoid touching the metal. Foam board works well for this. 1/2" works best.

Also, in a pinch, you can place things inside a microwave oven! Microwave ovens are actually Faraday cages built to keep radio waves inside.

First, if it fails this it will be NOT work period. Place a radio inside, a Shortwave receiver is better, and turn up the volume. Then close the box/cage. If you hear anything besides static, it failed. This does not mean it is EMP proof, but is a real good indicator.

After that you really have to have an EMP source to test it. Remember you do have to line the metal container with material to avoid touching the metal. Foam board works well for this. 1/2" works best.

Also, in a pinch, you can place things inside a microwave oven! Microwave ovens are actually Faraday cages built to keep radio waves inside.
Find
08-17-2015, 10:41 AM,
Faraday cages for EMP...
Threads: 82
Sounds like a reason to raid the electronics recycling drop off in Grayslake
Find