Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AK and RPK bipod: Don't Do It!
07-15-2015, 05:55 PM,
AK and RPK bipod: Don't Do It!
Threads: 35
A common error made by novice AK owners, that don't know the differences between that rifle and a RPK, is to put a clamp on bipod for the latter on the former. DO NOT DO THIS! That bipod clamps on to the barrel just behind the front sight block. What happens is that, as you fire the rifle and the barrel heats up, the bipod becomes a pivot point for AK barrels to bend. This destroys the barrel. What people who do this don't understand is that the RPK, as a light machine gun, has its barrel reenforced to prevent this. The AK does not. They see these cheap surplus bipods and think because these two weapons look alike that they're the same. If you feel you need a bipod for an AK get one of the foregrips that converts to one or one that attaches to the handguard. Another cheap alternative is the shooting sock. You make these yourself and instructions on how to do so can be seen in the following video:

Treat these barrels right guys. They are not as easy to swap as an AR's.

Treat these barrels right guys. They are not as easy to swap as an AR's.
Find
07-16-2015, 09:23 AM,
RE: AK and RPK bipod: Don't Do It!
Threads: 376
Good info. Thanks.
Find
07-23-2015, 08:57 PM,
Threads: 61
Nice! I did not know this. Although, I would not have considered installing a bipod on a standard AK Smile
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Website Find
07-23-2015, 09:55 PM,
Threads: 124
I wouldn't think to put a bi-pod on an AK... But I don't like that sock idea either, it could put strain on the magazines or magazine well, causing other issues. Maybe something like a GripPod exists for the AK like the AR15 platform. Which reminds me, does Red Dot sell that grip tape? I need to wrap the bottoms of my GripPods so they stay firmly planted at the range.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
07-24-2015, 07:29 AM,
Threads: 35
Shooting sock doesn't hurt AK magazines in anyway. It's been throughly tested and used in combloc countries from years. The one in the video is just the modern iteration of it. If you still feel leary about sitting the mag on it, if you make 3-4 you can stack them and make a safe barrel rest for the rifle.
Find