Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Decide.
07-10-2015, 08:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015, 08:08 AM by Codyp911.)
Sad  Can't Decide.

Threads: 9
Sad 
Still stuck between m&p 9 and an XD(m)-9. Aaarrrggghh. Need help. I have shot both.
Find
07-10-2015, 08:19 AM,
RE: Can't Decide.
Threads: 124
Both are good choices. Which one feels best in your hand? If they are both equal look at what you get for your dollar... An extra magazine? Which has better sights? Which has better features you want or appreciate. I have two Springfields, so I am partial to them. Do you notice any difference in the triggers? Do you think one takes down easier than the other? What do extra magazines cost? In the end a handgun is a personal choice. Do either have a reputation for being ammo picky?
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
07-10-2015, 09:13 AM,
Threads: 79
Here is what I would do.

Plan a range session. By that I mean make a plan as far as how many rounds at several distances, magazine changes, one handed shooting, etc., etc.

Write out a script, i.e. do this, then this, then this, etc.

Do at least 100 rounds or so, and if you can add drawing from a holster that would be helpful.

Then on separate consecutive days, go rent each one and run through the exact same routine that you planned.

Then say if you had to do this every week and that was the only gun you would own, which one do you prefer?

If you still don't have an answer then, put a target out at 25 ft. and take one shot. The closest to the center wins.

If still no answer, flip a coin. Smile

Plan a range session. By that I mean make a plan as far as how many rounds at several distances, magazine changes, one handed shooting, etc., etc.

Write out a script, i.e. do this, then this, then this, etc.

Do at least 100 rounds or so, and if you can add drawing from a holster that would be helpful.

Then on separate consecutive days, go rent each one and run through the exact same routine that you planned.

Then say if you had to do this every week and that was the only gun you would own, which one do you prefer?

If you still don't have an answer then, put a target out at 25 ft. and take one shot. The closest to the center wins.

If still no answer, flip a coin. Smile
Find
07-10-2015, 12:03 PM,

Thanks for the help.
Find
07-10-2015, 04:00 PM,
Now see I am cheap... Since he already shot both I am assuming he finds them near equal for comfort. If he didn't feel he liked one trigger better than the other or like the sights better, then to me, cause I am frugal (some say cheap), I'd look at what comes with it. An extra magazine can cost $30+. To me all that crap matters too...
Find
07-10-2015, 11:00 PM,
Threads: 54
Give it three years and you will probably own both
Find
07-11-2015, 07:04 AM,
No see that was what I'd try to avoid... and with me it's prolly 3 weeks...
Find
07-11-2015, 08:38 AM,
Threads: 35
I'd go for the XD(m) but that's a matter of personal preference. The base M&P doesn't have any kind of manual safety while the XD(m) at least has a 1911 style grip safety. I also like the Springfield's trigger better. The M&P's trigger felt sloppier in the one I've gotten to use than the one in the XD(m) did.
Find
07-11-2015, 10:46 AM,
Can't Decide.
Threads: 21
I take it you don't like Glock's..... So in that case I feel Dutz provided you with a great game plan. Pick up a few different loads like the RDA reloads, similar factory FMJ a box of JHP defensive loads. If you can afford it, buy a few different brands of JHP's, try them all, you'll probably be using JHP's for CC. Get to a range and test both firearms with as many different loads you can afford.

I'd also try an additional drill. Fire 2-3 rounds out of one firearm and without taking a break, immediately fire 2-3 out of the other one at the same target. I said immediately, but don't rush, be sure you adhere to all safety rules. The quicker you switch, the more likely you'll have the feeling of the first one in your mind. You're sure to realize the difference between the two.

Getting an extra magazine or two with the purchase is a great value, but I wouldn't sell myself on that. Your comfort, handling and confidence of the firearm is most important.

Whichever you decide on, I'm sure you're getting a quality firearm that you'll keep in your future collection for many years.

Let us know what you decide on. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated

I'd also try an additional drill. Fire 2-3 rounds out of one firearm and without taking a break, immediately fire 2-3 out of the other one at the same target. I said immediately, but don't rush, be sure you adhere to all safety rules. The quicker you switch, the more likely you'll have the feeling of the first one in your mind. You're sure to realize the difference between the two.

Getting an extra magazine or two with the purchase is a great value, but I wouldn't sell myself on that. Your comfort, handling and confidence of the firearm is most important.

Whichever you decide on, I'm sure you're getting a quality firearm that you'll keep in your future collection for many years.

Find
07-11-2015, 10:52 AM,
(07-11-2015, 10:46 AM)Brian S Wrote: I take it you don't like Glock's..... So in that case I feel Dutz provided you with a great game plan. Pick up a few different loads like the RDA reloads, similar factory FMJ a box of JHP defensive loads. If you can afford it, buy a few different brands of JHP's, try them all, you'll probably be using JHP's for CC. Get to a range and test both firearms with as many different loads you can afford.

I agree, on the extras, but if all things are equal otherwise, they should be considered. I actually like Glock's, just hate the sights they come with, the lack of a manual safety, and the price. Glocks in general are OVERPRICED for what you get, but you cannot go wrong with one. I'd take Springfield any day over a Glock, however. But he is RIGHT ON. Confidence, comfort, and I handing always come first!
(07-11-2015, 10:46 AM)Brian S Wrote: I take it you don't like Glock's..... So in that case I feel Dutz provided you with a great game plan. Pick up a few different loads like the RDA reloads, similar factory FMJ a box of JHP defensive loads. If you can afford it, buy a few different brands of JHP's, try them all, you'll probably be using JHP's for CC. Get to a range and test both firearms with as many different loads you can afford.

I agree, on the extras, but if all things are equal otherwise, they should be considered. I actually like Glock's, just hate the sights they come with, the lack of a manual safety, and the price. Glocks in general are OVERPRICED for what you get, but you cannot go wrong with one. I'd take Springfield any day over a Glock, however. But he is RIGHT ON. Confidence, comfort, and I handing always come first!
Find
07-11-2015, 11:37 AM,
Can't Decide.
I'm also partial to Glock's, after 30 plus years I still shoot my original Gen 1 G17 and 19's. I agree, trigger and sights are terrible. Even 30 years ago, a week after owing them I changed sights. I also agree they're overpriced. But this is all for another topic.

Don't let our Glock talk confuse you. The M&P and XDM are two of the best on the market. Quality wise you can't go wrong with either.

Don't let our Glock talk confuse you. The M&P and XDM are two of the best on the market. Quality wise you can't go wrong with either.
Find
07-11-2015, 01:21 PM,
Threads: 13
As all have said above. It is personal preference. To save money try a strange little trick. Go to gun shop and close your eyes have counter guy place one in you hand and position it so you are comfortable, then with your eyes still closed have him switch the weapon. See then which feels more comfortable. With your eyes closed it helps take out any bias towards one or the the other. Personally I have shot both and still liked the feel of the FNS 9. Red Dot actually did this with me before I purchased and it helped a lot. Good luck choosing.
Find
07-11-2015, 02:47 PM,
They didn't do that with me, but I have FNS-9 anyway... Smile Love that and both my XD's.. The FNS-9 is a really great firearm IMHO.
Love that and both my XD's.. The FNS-9 is a really great firearm IMHO.
Find
07-11-2015, 02:50 PM,
Can't Decide.
Fireman...that's a great idea! Thanks for bringing it up. I'm interested in but haven't seen or held a Walther CCP yet. I'll be ready to buy something after September 1st. I'm definitely going to use the blindfold test. I'll ask to do it with 4-5 different weapons including some I never intended to look at.
Find
07-12-2015, 03:27 AM,
Threads: 207
Repeatedly dry firing the gun will give you a good indication on how that gun feels. Hence, that's the reason I don't care for Glocks, just doesn't feel right. Think that surprised me was that I much prefer the FNX over the FNS, but my new FNS 9 is an AWESOME gun.

Full disclosure, I'm still an XD(M) guy.

Full disclosure, I'm still an XD(M) guy.
Find
07-12-2015, 03:12 PM,
Can't Decide.
Mike, I heard the Glock 43 has a better trigger. What's your thoughts about it? Any news on the Walther CCP, have you handled one yet?
Find
07-13-2015, 06:38 AM,

When I shot both, they both had pros and cons with me. They about evened out. It is a matter of who has had more problem with which brand. I know they are both very good brands, but there are always issues even with the best of things.
Find
07-13-2015, 09:58 AM,
Threads: 207
(07-13-2015, 06:38 AM)Codyp911 Wrote: When I shot both, they both had pros and cons with me. They about evened out. It is a matter of who has had more problem with which brand. I know they are both very good brands, but there are always issues even with the best of things.

Sounds like you need 2 guns Smile
(07-13-2015, 06:38 AM)Codyp911 Wrote: When I shot both, they both had pros and cons with me. They about evened out. It is a matter of who has had more problem with which brand. I know they are both very good brands, but there are always issues even with the best of things.
Find
07-13-2015, 10:55 AM,
(07-13-2015, 09:58 AM)mikereddot Wrote:

3 guns, don't forget FN Mike.

Sounds like you need 2 guns Smile3 guns, don't forget FN Mike.
Find
07-13-2015, 10:56 AM,

3 guns, don't forget FN Mike.

Sounds like you need 2 guns Smile3 guns, don't forget FN Mike.
Find