Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don’t Make These 3 Concealed Carry Mistakes
06-26-2015, 08:52 AM,
Don’t Make These 3 Concealed Carry Mistakes
Threads: 207
Too many people think that all they need to do to carry concealed is carry a hidden gun. That’s a big, and potentially deadly, mistake. Everyone, from experienced shooters to first-time gun buyers, should be aware of the mistakes to avoid.

Mistake #1: Showing off a concealed carry handgun in a public place.
Some people think of their guns like an expensive car; they just can’t wait to show it off. Concealed carry means that the gun stays out of view, all the time. Once a person knows the location of a gun, the possibility of bad consequences goes through the roof.

Show your gun off at a party and you make yourself an instant target. You’re not only target for someone who wants to steal the gun from you, but you could give another person a reason to think you’re armed for the wrong reasons.

Mistake #2: Carrying full metal jacket (FMJ) target practice ammo in a self-defense handgun.
Loading practice ammo in your self-defense handgun is a huge mistake. Don’t avoid the more hollow point varieties of self-defense loads because of the price.

Hollow points are built to expand on contact, resulting in a shot that’s safer for everyone else and more effective against a threat. FMJ ammunition will pierce the target and then proceed to go through just about everything else, including walls, windows, and other people nearby.

Mistake #3: Using an uncomfortable concealed carry holster.
A holster that constantly rubs the skin or needs adjustment is not only annoying, it’s dangerous. People are much less likely to carry consistently if they’re uncomfortable, and constant carry is a key to being effective.

People are more prone to adjust holsters that hurt, and that leads to accidental discharges and drawing attention to your weapon, both of which could have deadly consequences.

Carrying a firearm is never about intimidation factor or owning expensive items, it’s about being prepared to protect yourself and others in the event of a deadly threat. In a situation like that, there’s no room for error.

FULL STORY
Find
06-26-2015, 08:57 AM,
RE: Don’t Make These 3 Concealed Carry Mistakes
Threads: 79
(06-26-2015, 08:52 AM)mikereddot Wrote: Mistake #1: Showing off a concealed carry handgun in a public place.
Some people think of their guns like an expensive car; they just can’t wait to show it off. Concealed carry means that the gun stays out of view, all the time. Once a person knows the location of a gun, the possibility of bad consequences goes through the roof.

Show your gun off at a party and you make yourself an instant target. You’re not only target for someone who wants to steal the gun from you, but you could give another person a reason to think you’re armed for the wrong reasons.

My loaded firearm never leaves the holster unless I am ready to shoot.
(06-26-2015, 08:52 AM)mikereddot Wrote: Mistake #1: Showing off a concealed carry handgun in a public place.

My loaded firearm never leaves the holster unless I am ready to shoot.
Find
06-26-2015, 10:14 AM,
Threads: 56
Great tips that I am sure many don't think about
Find
06-26-2015, 07:55 PM,
Threads: 124
All three are excellent points.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
06-27-2015, 07:17 PM,
Threads: 12
Noted, and all good points.
Find
07-17-2015, 07:38 AM,

Threads: 9
Thanks for the info.
Find
07-17-2015, 08:53 AM,
Threads: 376
All good points. After I buy a new holster I always try to wear it around the house first to break it in and to see if it is really going to be so comfortable that I nearly forget its on.
Find
07-19-2015, 07:28 PM,
Threads: 21
I feel point #1 is the worst thing a person could disobey. Not only would that be stupid, If you start showing off a concealed firearm, it's no longer concealed and may not be welcome on the owners property. It would be a very foolish way to have your CCL revoked for life.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
Find
07-19-2015, 08:04 PM,
(07-19-2015, 07:28 PM)Brian S Wrote: I feel point #1 is the worst thing a person could disobey. Not only would that be stupid, If you start showing off a concealed firearm, it's no longer concealed and may not be welcome on the owners property. It would be a very foolish way to have your CCL revoked for life.

Agreed. An ex-employee where I work apparently showed his to a cashier to show off (she doesn't know I carry). She started talking about how we should be posted because she doesn't want anyone with a loaded gun to be around her. It's dangerous.

As usual I bit my tongue and some smiling and nodding followed.

That is not the way to win the hearts and minds, not to mention being illegal.
(07-19-2015, 07:28 PM)Brian S Wrote: I feel point #1 is the worst thing a person could disobey. Not only would that be stupid, If you start showing off a concealed firearm, it's no longer concealed and may not be welcome on the owners property. It would be a very foolish way to have your CCL revoked for life.
Agreed. An ex-employee where I work apparently showed his to a cashier to show off (she doesn't know I carry). She started talking about how we should be posted because she doesn't want anyone with a loaded gun to be around her. It's dangerous.

Find
07-20-2015, 06:53 AM,
Threads: 79
(07-19-2015, 08:04 PM)Karl B Wrote:

That might have been a great teaching moment. Guns are not dangerous, people are, so a gun is only as dangerous as the person. You could have told here that the person showing off made his gun dangerous, and she was justified in being nervous. However, the other guns carried concealed by the employees here are not dangerous. In fact, they are so not dangerous you didn't even know you were surrounded by them.
(07-19-2015, 08:04 PM)Karl B Wrote:

That might have been a great teaching moment. Guns are not dangerous, people are, so a gun is only as dangerous as the person. You could have told here that the person showing off made his gun dangerous, and she was justified in being nervous. However, the other guns carried concealed by the employees here are not dangerous. In fact, they are so not dangerous you didn't even know you were surrounded by them.
Find
07-20-2015, 02:01 PM,
Dutz,

You are obviously right. However, my personal policy at work is "mums the word". I don't want to give anyone I work with a reason to think I might be carrying. There are a few guys there that I talk about shooting with, and I won't even tell them. I don't want to risk having the company policy changed for the worse, and potentially losing my job.

That, and the woman in question is something of a hoplophobe. I doubt she would see reason.

You are obviously right. However, my personal policy at work is "mums the word". I don't want to give anyone I work with a reason to think I might be carrying. There are a few guys there that I talk about shooting with, and I won't even tell them. I don't want to risk having the company policy changed for the worse, and potentially losing my job.

That, and the woman in question is something of a hoplophobe. I doubt she would see reason.
Find