Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revolver Question
04-27-2015, 09:10 AM,
Revolver Question
Threads: 79
For fun I decided to go beat myself up (wait, that didn't come out right).

...I decided to rent some Ruger .44 mags. (ok, that was better).

On two consecutive weekends I rented a Super Red Hawk and then a Super Black Hawk. Both were 7.5 inch barrels. I put through 50 rounds each. Below is a picture of each gun and my targets at 10 yards. I shot 5-7-10 distances. My targets below are at the end of the 50 rounds.

The Super Red Hawk is double action (DA) and the Super Black Hawk is single (SA). The Red Hawk is the big brother of the GP100.

This was my first time shooting SA, and I want to know if my experience is common or was I doing something wrong.

The Red Hawk was fun to shoot and after 50 I wanted to shoot more. I did not think it was too big, heavy, or hard to handle. In fact, I felt in control and controlling that much power was a blast (no pun intended). Except for a few flinches (down left) the target shows that especially after 50 rounds.

The Black Hawk was different. After 20 rounds I did not look forward to pulling the trigger again. I tried both "managing" the recoil and letting the gun "flip" and "roll" as I read should be done with a SA that has a "cowboy" style handle. It didn't matter. The trigger guard hit my middle finger at the base and then scraped the first knuckle. I still have the evidence on my hand. It took all I had left to get the "group" in the target below after 50 rounds. Still not bad, but not fun at all.

I can say shooting the SA one handed was easier in general that most I have shot which I understand is also a characteristic of the "cowboy" handle.

So my question again, I am the only one experiencing this? I really don't know of any other way I could have gripped the gun. Is the SA just not for me, or not for me in a .44?

Redhawk

[Image: 5501.jpg]

[Image: SRH_10_zpsapin8qzc.jpg]

Blackhawk

[Image: 0804.jpg]

[Image: SBH_10_zps2ifs4gbj.jpg]

...I decided to rent some Ruger .44 mags. (ok, that was better).

On two consecutive weekends I rented a Super Red Hawk and then a Super Black Hawk. Both were 7.5 inch barrels. I put through 50 rounds each. Below is a picture of each gun and my targets at 10 yards. I shot 5-7-10 distances. My targets below are at the end of the 50 rounds.

The Super Red Hawk is double action (DA) and the Super Black Hawk is single (SA). The Red Hawk is the big brother of the GP100.

This was my first time shooting SA, and I want to know if my experience is common or was I doing something wrong.

The Red Hawk was fun to shoot and after 50 I wanted to shoot more. I did not think it was too big, heavy, or hard to handle. In fact, I felt in control and controlling that much power was a blast (no pun intended). Except for a few flinches (down left) the target shows that especially after 50 rounds.

The Black Hawk was different. After 20 rounds I did not look forward to pulling the trigger again. I tried both "managing" the recoil and letting the gun "flip" and "roll" as I read should be done with a SA that has a "cowboy" style handle. It didn't matter. The trigger guard hit my middle finger at the base and then scraped the first knuckle. I still have the evidence on my hand. It took all I had left to get the "group" in the target below after 50 rounds. Still not bad, but not fun at all.

I can say shooting the SA one handed was easier in general that most I have shot which I understand is also a characteristic of the "cowboy" handle.

So my question again, I am the only one experiencing this? I really don't know of any other way I could have gripped the gun. Is the SA just not for me, or not for me in a .44?

Redhawk

[Image: 5501.jpg]

[Image: SRH_10_zpsapin8qzc.jpg]

Blackhawk

[Image: 0804.jpg]

[Image: SBH_10_zps2ifs4gbj.jpg]
Find
04-27-2015, 09:26 AM,
RE: Revolver Question
Threads: 124
First off, nice groups! I think the Red Hawk, being a more modern design, and heavier frame, has a better shooting angle, and better grip feel to it. The balance also makes shooting the cannon easier. These factors are making it more comfortable.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
04-27-2015, 11:28 AM,
Threads: 82
The weight difference is only 4-5 oz so that isn't a huge factor. I'm thinking that bigger Hogue-type grip on the SRH fit your hand better. That grip is more vertical than the plow handle grip of the SBH. It will push the gun more into your hand when fired whereas the plow handle is more likely to roll. Rent the SBH with a Bisley grip, which is more vertical, if you can. You may like that more or at least find it easier to control.

You also picked a powerful cartridge to try the SA in. Try it out in .45 colt, .357 mag, or even .41 mag (probably not going to find for rent) before deciding if SA is for you.

You also picked a powerful cartridge to try the SA in. Try it out in .45 colt, .357 mag, or even .41 mag (probably not going to find for rent) before deciding if SA is for you.
Find
04-27-2015, 04:19 PM,
Threads: 207
Put a little more trigger finger on the Red Hawk, and that group will pull to the left.

As for the Blackhawk, looks like you were anticipating recoil on it. If you rent it again, have Mrs. Dutz put some dummy rounds in there to catch you flinching.

And yeah, 44 mag is a whooper of a round. I hardly ever shoot mine.

As for the Blackhawk, looks like you were anticipating recoil on it. If you rent it again, have Mrs. Dutz put some dummy rounds in there to catch you flinching.

And yeah, 44 mag is a whooper of a round. I hardly ever shoot mine.
Find
05-01-2015, 06:13 PM,
Threads: 12
I hear ya. My FIL brings out his S&W .500 12" every so often. Accurate as hell, but after about 10 rounds my hand hurts. He uses it to hunt boar.
Find
05-25-2015, 12:16 PM,
Threads: 21
As Mike mentioned, anticipation can be a major issue if you're shooting a .44 mag for the first few times. As a Green Bay Packer (Go Bears) Quarterback once said "RELAX" take your time and a deep breath.

You didn't mention the loads you were shooting. Find the lightest load you can, work up from there. If you can locate some light .44 special's at a reasonable price, you might want to try them in both Hawks.

*If you do locate any .44 special's at a reasonable price please let me know.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated

You didn't mention the loads you were shooting. Find the lightest load you can, work up from there. If you can locate some light .44 special's at a reasonable price, you might want to try them in both Hawks.

*If you do locate any .44 special's at a reasonable price please let me know.
Find
05-25-2015, 12:38 PM,
Revolver Question
(05-25-2015, 12:16 PM)Brian S Wrote: *If you do locate any .44 special's at a reasonable price please let me know.

yes, please
(05-25-2015, 12:16 PM)Brian S Wrote: *If you do locate any .44 special's at a reasonable price please let me know.
yes, please
Find
05-25-2015, 09:00 PM,
Threads: 35
Another thing to try is padded shooting or Mechanix gloves. Those will protect your knuckles.
Find
07-19-2015, 04:02 PM,
Dutz, Have you had a chance to try the RedHawks again?
Find
07-19-2015, 10:12 PM,
I went back and shot the regular Redhawk, and it was better than the Blackhawk. Then I still had time so I did the Super Redawk again. That clinched it. For me the Super was really much better. The recoil and control is significantly better. I could shoot that as long as my other guns, and it may be the funnest one I have shot of any gun which is saying a lot for a .44 mag.

With the AR-15 classes coming up my focus and money is going toward that now ( I just picked up a used AR from Red Dot), so this is on hold. However, if I had to buy one now, it would hands down be the Super Redhawk.

But now that I have time before I buy this I will shoot some S&W, they deserve a look. Also, I will try the GP100 since it is the .357 version of the Super Redhawk. I would like to try the Alaskan as well in the Super Redhawk, but I don't know if I want a 2.5 inch barrel.

So the Super Redhawk 7.5 inch is in the lead.

With the AR-15 classes coming up my focus and money is going toward that now ( I just picked up a used AR from Red Dot), so this is on hold. However, if I had to buy one now, it would hands down be the Super Redhawk.

But now that I have time before I buy this I will shoot some S&W, they deserve a look. Also, I will try the GP100 since it is the .357 version of the Super Redhawk. I would like to try the Alaskan as well in the Super Redhawk, but I don't know if I want a 2.5 inch barrel.

So the Super Redhawk 7.5 inch is in the lead.
Find
07-20-2015, 08:18 AM,
First, I am not a revolver guy, but I really liked the Ruger GP100 (.357, 4" stainless) that I shot. Grip felt great, built like a tank, and very accurate weapon. It was an enjoyable firearm to shoot.
Find
07-20-2015, 10:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015, 10:52 AM by rwhite135.)
It's been my experience that .357 magnum is not the hand and wrist killer some make it out to be. That might have to do with the fact that I'm not a little guy and that I've been shooting that caliber off and on since I was 9-10 years old. If I had to pick between a .357 and a .44 I'm going with the .357. It's lighter on the recoil and you can still drop most critters on the North American continent with it if need be. The only two that may pose a problem would be brown or polar bears and neither live in West Virginia.

I've personally been thinking about getting another S&W in .357 to replace the Model 66 I had to sell years ago. If I do it might be one of the newer 7-8 round varieties. Of course this is just one of the many weapons I'm considering buying right now that I don't have the money to do so, lol.

I've personally been thinking about getting another S&W in .357 to replace the Model 66 I had to sell years ago. If I do it might be one of the newer 7-8 round varieties. Of course this is just one of the many weapons I'm considering buying right now that I don't have the money to do so, lol.
Find
07-20-2015, 02:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015, 02:46 PM by BelieveIn308.)
rwhite, I alway judge a handgun by a quick 3 shots. It is fairly easy to keep on target with the first round, but a second and third rapidly is another issue. I found the .357 SP100 easy to do that with. It was mild to my hand, and didn't have the recoil I was expecting. The SP100 is not light. It feels like you have a tank, but behaves surprisingly well. I'd feel comfy taking on a moose or bear with it. If 5 rounds out of that don't stop them cold in their tracks I am sure I can run from them and reload.

Yeah, my weapon list has grown a few... I have 3 serious contenders when I land another contract. VEPR (in 7.62x54R), a AK47 (C39v2), and that SP100. And that new Ruger Precision Rifle prolly will make my want list too... Plus I heard a rumor Ruger was going to release a new SR22 striker fired pistol...

Yeah, my weapon list has grown a few... I have 3 serious contenders when I land another contract. VEPR (in 7.62x54R), a AK47 (C39v2), and that SP100. And that new Ruger Precision Rifle prolly will make my want list too... Plus I heard a rumor Ruger was going to release a new SR22 striker fired pistol...
Find
07-20-2015, 07:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM by Brian S.)
My .357's have always been the most accurate and fun revolvers I've ever owned, at one time or another I've owned every common caliber revolver made for and sold in the U.S. I've never had an issue with any .357 revolver and I'm always looking to replace a few that I sold, I just haven't found any in mint condition yet.

I never had the opportunity to shoot a semi auto .357. If it wasn't for the cost, I'd seriously like to own a Coonan. When I saw one at RDA I fell I love with it.

BTW I'm a small guy about 5'3" 145LBS

I never had the opportunity to shoot a semi auto .357. If it wasn't for the cost, I'd seriously like to own a Coonan. When I saw one at RDA I fell I love with it.

BTW I'm a small guy about 5'3" 145LBS
Find
07-20-2015, 07:56 PM,
(05-25-2015, 12:38 PM)AcilletaM Wrote:

yes, please

Anyone???

yes, please
Anyone???
Find
07-20-2015, 10:43 PM,
(07-20-2015, 02:45 PM)BelieveIn308 Wrote: Plus I heard a rumor Ruger was going to release a new SR22 striker fired pistol...

I know there are a couple out there like the Beretta Neos but I didn't think .22lr worked very well as striker fired because of the QC issues with the mass produced ammo. Most have internal hammers. Maybe Ruger is just making the hammer internal?
(07-20-2015, 02:45 PM)BelieveIn308 Wrote: Plus I heard a rumor Ruger was going to release a new SR22 striker fired pistol...
I know there are a couple out there like the Beretta Neos but I didn't think .22lr worked very well as striker fired because of the QC issues with the mass produced ammo. Most have internal hammers. Maybe Ruger is just making the hammer internal?
Find
07-20-2015, 10:44 PM,
(07-19-2015, 10:12 PM)Dutz Wrote: I would like to try the Alaskan as well in the Super Redhawk, but I don't know if I want a 2.5 inch barrel.

Haven't shot it but something makes me think the Alaskan with the Hornady Critical Defense .44 special ammo would make a good carry gun. Maybe I just want it to be.
(07-19-2015, 10:12 PM)Dutz Wrote: I would like to try the Alaskan as well in the Super Redhawk, but I don't know if I want a 2.5 inch barrel.
Haven't shot it but something makes me think the Alaskan with the Hornady Critical Defense .44 special ammo would make a good carry gun. Maybe I just want it to be.
Find
07-21-2015, 06:42 AM,
(07-20-2015, 10:44 PM)AcilletaM Wrote:

[Image: 600px-Faster-RugerSRA-4.jpg]
(07-20-2015, 10:44 PM)AcilletaM Wrote:

[Image: 600px-Faster-RugerSRA-4.jpg]
Find
07-21-2015, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015, 09:09 AM by rwhite135.)
(07-20-2015, 07:56 PM)Brian S Wrote:

yes, please

Anyone???

I don't know how much it should go for. What would be considered fair for .44 special? You could always look on ammoseek.com or gunbot.net and see what they have listed.

http://gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/44special/

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/44-special

That's what both of those have listed right now as what retailers are selling it for.
(07-20-2015, 07:56 PM)Brian S Wrote:

yes, please

Anyone???
I don't know how much it should go for. What would be considered fair for .44 special? You could always look on ammoseek.com or gunbot.net and see what they have listed.

http://gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/44special/

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/44-special

That's what both of those have listed right now as what retailers are selling it for.
Find
07-21-2015, 10:32 AM,
(07-20-2015, 10:43 PM)AcilletaM Wrote:

We shall see... If Ruger does come out with one, I am sure they will have the kinks worked out so it is reliable. So far I have not seen anything new on the rumor. I'd probably wait awhile to see what reviewers think. Heck, there is enough 22LR ammo that is problematic. I have a couple 22LR pistols, a S&W22A and a Ruger MkIII, both are really good shooters, and both seem ammo tolerant. But I have a friend that has a Buckmark, and it hates the Winchester White Box stuff... Maybe I just need to add a SR22 to my want list...
(07-20-2015, 10:43 PM)AcilletaM Wrote:

We shall see... If Ruger does come out with one, I am sure they will have the kinks worked out so it is reliable. So far I have not seen anything new on the rumor. I'd probably wait awhile to see what reviewers think. Heck, there is enough 22LR ammo that is problematic. I have a couple 22LR pistols, a S&W22A and a Ruger MkIII, both are really good shooters, and both seem ammo tolerant. But I have a friend that has a Buckmark, and it hates the Winchester White Box stuff... Maybe I just need to add a SR22 to my want list...
Find