This part recall and part settlement of a lawsuit alleging that the 700 can fire without pulling the trigger. The settlement part still has to be accepted by the judge.
Quote:Court documents filed Friday said the models affected by the settlement include 7.85 million rifles sold in the United States – but not all of those can or need to be retrofitted with new trigger mechanisms.
Remington, while admitting no wrongdoing, agreed to an extensive recall and retrofit of its rifles or, in some cases, a small payment for older rifles that can’t be retrofitted.
The proposed settlement includes:
• For Models 700, Seven, Sportsman 78 and 673 rifles, the company will remove the original Walker trigger mechanism and replace it with a new X-Mark Pro mechanism.
• For Models 710, 715 and 770, the company will remove the original trigger mechanism and replace it with a Model 770 connector-less mechanism.
• For Models 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725, the company will provide vouchers of $12.50 or $10, depending on the model, redeemable for Remington products. These rifles are between 32 and 62 years old, and cannot be retrofitted with a connector-less trigger mechanism.
• Models 700 and Seven rifles made between May 2006 and April 9, 2014, with an X-Mark Pro trigger mechanism, will be retrofitted with a new assembly. Earlier this year, Remington had recalled these weapons, after discovering a flaw in the new trigger mechanism.
Remington said it will pay the costs of the repairs and the shipping of any weapon that’s repaired. The company also said once the settlement is approved, it will advertise via news release, direct notices, a website and social media how rifle-owners can file claim forms to get their weapons repaired.
The company also agreed to pay the eight named plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit $2,500 each for their “time and effort” associated with the case – and $12.5 million to the plaintiffs’ attorneys, subject to approval by the court.