Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New guns
04-02-2017, 04:10 PM,
RE: New guns
Threads: 35
(04-02-2017, 08:31 AM)The Sheriff Wrote: I know this is important... When I first get a gun, I just want to get it to the range a shoot it. I clean the barrel, and wipe off excess oil and then put a hundred rounds through it. I've never had a gun that didn't like ball ammo. But I have had a few that would initially misfeed with certain brands of hollow points.

22's can be finicky about ammo brand. My PMR-30 and CMR-30 (22WMR) are ammo sensitive.

Interesting enough, I've seen multiple YouTube videos where reviewers had issues using ball ammo but not HPs in the Remington RP-9. Apparently, the feedramp in some of them is too long for the ball ammo and it gets jammed under it causing a ftf. The HPs, not having the little extra length of the ball round, feed fine.

As for breaking in a new handgun, one of the things I do is load it with dummy rounds and work the action, while watching TV. This helps smooth out the action without having to worry about weather or lighting conditions outside. Amazon has some nice brass dummy rounds in a set of 10 for not much money. They weigh the same as live rounds so they allow you to get used to the weapon's balance, as well.
(04-02-2017, 08:31 AM)The Sheriff Wrote: I know this is important... When I first get a gun, I just want to get it to the range a shoot it. I clean the barrel, and wipe off excess oil and then put a hundred rounds through it. I've never had a gun that didn't like ball ammo. But I have had a few that would initially misfeed with certain brands of hollow points.

22's can be finicky about ammo brand. My PMR-30 and CMR-30 (22WMR) are ammo sensitive.
Interesting enough, I've seen multiple YouTube videos where reviewers had issues using ball ammo but not HPs in the Remington RP-9. Apparently, the feedramp in some of them is too long for the ball ammo and it gets jammed under it causing a ftf. The HPs, not having the little extra length of the ball round, feed fine.

As for breaking in a new handgun, one of the things I do is load it with dummy rounds and work the action, while watching TV. This helps smooth out the action without having to worry about weather or lighting conditions outside. Amazon has some nice brass dummy rounds in a set of 10 for not much money. They weigh the same as live rounds so they allow you to get used to the weapon's balance, as well.
Find

Messages In This Thread
New guns - by GunnyTim - 04-01-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: New guns - by The Sheriff - 04-02-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: New guns - by rwhite135 - 04-02-2017, 04:10 PM