Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring shoot coming up in Early May...
12-17-2016, 11:05 AM,
Spring shoot coming up in Early May...
Threads: 124
Every year 8 of us get together for a shooting weekend at a private range. This years theme is going to be handguns, a real first for us, as the closest we have come to that is 'Cowboy' weekend.

As such I am thinking I want to bring a new gun with for this...

Either a new Glock 20 (or 40, 10mm) or a Ruger SP100 in .357 Mag.) I am torn between the two. I have eliminated all other choices off my want list, and am trying to decide between these two. I don't own any wheel guns. And I have always wanted something in the 10mm powerful cartridge.

Which would you guys pick and why. It is sort of a fun ritual, We have been doing this shoot for 12 years running now. We shoot all day Saturday, clean Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon we drink and tell stories. The losers of the Saturday competitions have to buy the pizza a beer, and they are the designated drivers.

So one more time, Ruger SP100 (.357 Mag) or Glock 20/40 (10mm)? Help me choose wisely. I'm likely to choose both, but my budget says only one. I will of course have to watch RDA's sales to see if the have one of these on special (Hint, Hint...)
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

As such I am thinking I want to bring a new gun with for this...

Either a new Glock 20 (or 40, 10mm) or a Ruger SP100 in .357 Mag.) I am torn between the two. I have eliminated all other choices off my want list, and am trying to decide between these two. I don't own any wheel guns. And I have always wanted something in the 10mm powerful cartridge.

Which would you guys pick and why. It is sort of a fun ritual, We have been doing this shoot for 12 years running now. We shoot all day Saturday, clean Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon we drink and tell stories. The losers of the Saturday competitions have to buy the pizza a beer, and they are the designated drivers.

So one more time, Ruger SP100 (.357 Mag) or Glock 20/40 (10mm)? Help me choose wisely. I'm likely to choose both, but my budget says only one. I will of course have to watch RDA's sales to see if the have one of these on special (Hint, Hint...)
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
12-17-2016, 04:42 PM,
RE: Spring shoot coming up in Early May...
Threads: 207
357....much cooler round. 10mm is hard to find, and when/if the world get unglued, you'll have a great 10mm paper weight.
[Image: ShirtConcept2.jpg]
Find
12-17-2016, 04:48 PM,
Threads: 35
10mm. A pointless round unless you love way too much recoil or in bear country. For the average person that is shooting paper, its overkill. I have been liking the idea of 10mm in a carbine though.

SP100- I am not a big fan of the ruger double action revolvers. Their single actions are nice though. Personally, I would rather save up for a nice smith & wesson 686.

Last note, where is my invite?
[Image: ericsign.jpg]

SP100- I am not a big fan of the ruger double action revolvers. Their single actions are nice though. Personally, I would rather save up for a nice smith & wesson 686.

Last note, where is my invite?
Find
12-17-2016, 04:48 PM,
Threads: 1
My vote would have to be the .357. Especially if you don't own a wheel gun yet. While yes 10mm is a interesting round the ammo is rather expensive and hard to find. I'm a fan of guns that I can shoot for long periods of time.
Find
12-17-2016, 04:52 PM,
(12-17-2016, 04:42 PM)mikereddot Wrote: 357....much cooler round. 10mm is hard to find, and when/if the world get unglued, you'll have a great 10mm paper weight.

Ok.... and just when I was ready to add one more 10mm to the mix. Rock Island Armory 52000 Double stack 6" 1911 type.

But the Ruger Sp100 Match Champion certainly is a solid contender.

In SHTF neither will be my choice. The pistol I will carry is the SA .45 ACP long barrel full size. But I would lay in at least a 1000 rds of any caliber I have. And for pistols, if I have to use a thousand rounds, I have made way to many tactical errors and have just been extremely lucky to have survived...

It is funny that I have a couple hundred rounds of many calibers that I don't even have weapons for...
(12-17-2016, 04:42 PM)mikereddot Wrote: 357....much cooler round. 10mm is hard to find, and when/if the world get unglued, you'll have a great 10mm paper weight.
Ok.... and just when I was ready to add one more 10mm to the mix. Rock Island Armory 52000 Double stack 6" 1911 type.

But the Ruger Sp100 Match Champion certainly is a solid contender.

In SHTF neither will be my choice. The pistol I will carry is the SA .45 ACP long barrel full size. But I would lay in at least a 1000 rds of any caliber I have. And for pistols, if I have to use a thousand rounds, I have made way to many tactical errors and have just been extremely lucky to have survived...

It is funny that I have a couple hundred rounds of many calibers that I don't even have weapons for...
Find
12-17-2016, 05:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2016, 05:12 PM by BelieveIn308.)
I really don't like the S&W 686. I dislike the balance. It felt heavy and the one I handled had an awful trigger. I guess I am just not an S&W fan. I also think they are pretty overpriced for what you get. I like the Ruger way better. Heck I though the Charter Arms revolvers were better quality than the S&W's, but I don't know a lot about wheel guns. Eric, I don't control the invite list. The range is near Sterling, IL on a very large farm (1000 meter range in the middle of the farm). I can ask if you are really interested, it's the first or second weekend in May. There usually is a theme, Black powder, Cowboy action, Civil War, Gangster weapons, etc, mostly long guns...
Find
12-17-2016, 10:03 PM,
Remington just came out with a R1 Enhanced in a 10mm. I have not seen one yet but if its like the 45 version. I should be pretty nice.
Find
12-19-2016, 07:34 PM,
Eric, why are you not a fan of the SP100 Double action revolvers? Just curious?
Find
12-19-2016, 10:52 PM,
I really really hate how they look. Everything is really boxy and the total opposite of streamlined. Just not my cup of tea.
Find
12-30-2016, 05:49 PM,
Eric, I plan to buy 2 guns this year, a .357 revolver (more than likely the Ruger SP101), and a 10mm...

I am thinking I am going to get the 10mm first. The choices are really just a couple contenders... The Rock Island double stack (5200), which is supposed to be of much higher quality than the normal RIA weapons, the Remington R1, which is nice, I have seen one, but is tad high priced, and then the two Glocks 20 and 40. I am leaning toward the Glock 20 right now. Glock 20 (about $585), 40 (about $800), Remington R1 (about $900) and the RIA (52000) (about $1130). I am leaning toward the Glock 20. I can always add an extended barrel, and beefed up recoil spring & buffer.

If I want to have RDA order one, do you know the lead time?

I am thinking I am going to get the 10mm first. The choices are really just a couple contenders... The Rock Island double stack (5200), which is supposed to be of much higher quality than the normal RIA weapons, the Remington R1, which is nice, I have seen one, but is tad high priced, and then the two Glocks 20 and 40. I am leaning toward the Glock 20 right now. Glock 20 (about $585), 40 (about $800), Remington R1 (about $900) and the RIA (52000) (about $1130). I am leaning toward the Glock 20. I can always add an extended barrel, and beefed up recoil spring & buffer.

If I want to have RDA order one, do you know the lead time?
Find
12-31-2016, 02:17 PM,
Threads: 207
I was actually thinking of getting the R1 myself. Great minds think a like. Smile
Find
12-31-2016, 05:47 PM,
Mike,

If you get a Remington R1 in 10mm, I want to see it. I have the Remington R1 Enhanced, and think it is way more gun than the Kimber for a lot less money. I was not impressed with the quality of the cheaper Rock Island 1911's, but it is my understanding that the double stack 10mm is a gun that is special made and of much higher quality. I looked at and fired the Glock 40. It's Ok, I thought the 20 was way better. And at that price point I can always buy an aftermarket 6.5" barrel and 22 lbs. recoil spring.

That pretty much sums up my views. So if you get the R1, I want to see it. If not, I want to get a G20. I have seen them on Buds for $592. But I think I don't mind paying the local sales tax, if it supports my favorite Gun merchant. Especially one that gives ot discounts on their training classes. I have a New Year's resolution I plan to keep and that is I want to take 3 classes you offer this year. I also want one of those fixed blade Brian knives...

Regards, Ken

If you get a Remington R1 in 10mm, I want to see it. I have the Remington R1 Enhanced, and think it is way more gun than the Kimber for a lot less money. I was not impressed with the quality of the cheaper Rock Island 1911's, but it is my understanding that the double stack 10mm is a gun that is special made and of much higher quality. I looked at and fired the Glock 40. It's Ok, I thought the 20 was way better. And at that price point I can always buy an aftermarket 6.5" barrel and 22 lbs. recoil spring.

That pretty much sums up my views. So if you get the R1, I want to see it. If not, I want to get a G20. I have seen them on Buds for $592. But I think I don't mind paying the local sales tax, if it supports my favorite Gun merchant. Especially one that gives ot discounts on their training classes. I have a New Year's resolution I plan to keep and that is I want to take 3 classes you offer this year. I also want one of those fixed blade Brian knives...

Regards, Ken
Find
01-15-2017, 02:34 PM,
(12-31-2016, 05:47 PM)BelieveIn308 Wrote: Mike,

Regards, Ken
Update: I actually had a chance to see and shoot the Remington. Very high quality, accurate, 1911 style firearm. I elected to go with the Glock 40, however due to much higher capacity (15 v. 8) and a great price on it ($700 v $1000). I just thought the Glock was the better value. Still, if the RIA 52000 would have been available, I would have gone that route. Once again the guys at RDA were great.
(12-31-2016, 05:47 PM)BelieveIn308 Wrote: Mike,

Regards, KenUpdate: I actually had a chance to see and shoot the Remington. Very high quality, accurate, 1911 style firearm. I elected to go with the Glock 40, however due to much higher capacity (15 v. 8) and a great price on it ($700 v $1000). I just thought the Glock was the better value. Still, if the RIA 52000 would have been available, I would have gone that route. Once again the guys at RDA were great.
Find