Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about temperature
08-19-2015, 10:30 PM,
Question about temperature
Threads: 12
As I got into my 120 degree car a few days ago I thought, "I keep my spare mag in here."

I would assume that modern ammo isn't negatively affected by temp changes, but figured I would ask. Do major temperature swings have any affect on ammo? I mean, the deserts over in the middle east don't seem to cause problems.

What say you? Please discuss.

I would assume that modern ammo isn't negatively affected by temp changes, but figured I would ask. Do major temperature swings have any affect on ammo? I mean, the deserts over in the middle east don't seem to cause problems.

What say you? Please discuss.
Find
08-20-2015, 06:00 AM,
RE: Question about temperature
Threads: 124
I don't really know. I was taught decades ago that temperature really didn't matter, but that HUMIDITY was what needed to be controlled. I have never had any issues with ammunition storage, and have shot ammo that was 20 years old without incident. I do keep my ammo in ammo cans and add a couple of moisture absorbing packets.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
08-20-2015, 08:41 AM,
Threads: 376
I sure that there is a point of failure when it comes to temp. PD's carry stuff all the time in their cars and store ammo in the cars with variable temp ranges.
Find
08-20-2015, 10:37 AM,
Threads: 53
I say I'd agree that humidity would be the larger adversary. I don't think that the temps in a car would really effect the ammo. Seems like something that would be fun to search on YouTube though. Find some torture tests
Find
08-20-2015, 09:09 PM,
Threads: 35
Like the others said, humidity is what you need to be concerned with. If storing loaded mags in a car do so in the glove box, center console, or ammo can with a moisture neutralizer. The silica packs from a shoe box work well as do the ones from medicine bottles. For the glove box you'll need 3-4 of them.
Find