Red Dot Arms Forum
Training Log Book - Printable Version

+- Red Dot Arms Forum (https://rdaforum.com)
+-- Forum: Training (https://rdaforum.com/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Shooting tactics (https://rdaforum.com/forum-58.html)
+--- Thread: Training Log Book (/thread-1836.html)

Pages: 1 2

Training Log Book - ssphoto - 08-31-2015

Hi all. I remember from our Skills / Drill class on Saturday, one guy had Mike sign off on his receipt as "proof of training". As documenting your training is always a good idea, I will begin doing so myself.

My question: once I get my logbook in hand, I will assemble whatever training certs I have before Red Dot, but will Mike, Steve or Robb be willing to sign off on the RDA courses I have taken? That will get me all caught up.

My list should include these past courses:

Refuse to be a Victim
Conceal Carry Practical Application / CCW3 - Class 4,5 and 6.
NRA Basic Shotgun

RE: Training Log Book - mikereddot - 09-07-2015

Of course we will sigh off on classes you've taken. This is why we do this. We want to train good citizens, and want to make sure they are prepare of god forbid they ever have to use deadly force.

Training Log Book - jfergus7 - 09-07-2015

That really is a great idea! Think I am going to have to start doing the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Training Log Book - mikereddot - 09-07-2015

Join us for our skills and drills...they're a blast Smile

RE: Training Log Book - jfergus7 - 09-08-2015

ssphoto what book were you thinking of using? I did a search and didn't find anything already created so thinking I will just get a binder and create my own but looking for different ideas.

RE: Training Log Book - AcilletaM - 09-08-2015

This is what I am using. There is a training log tab with the form. I've been having the instructors sign for a while.

https://rdaforum.com/thread-1340.html?highlight=training+log

I try to have it filled out before I have them sign and I have them sign on the day off. After that I don't make any changes. I filled in a number for classes I already took before I started tracking but I don't plan on having them signed.

RE: Training Log Book - ssphoto - 09-10-2015

(09-08-2015, 01:21 PM)jfergus7 Wrote: ssphoto what book were you thinking of using? I did a search and didn't find anything already created so thinking I will just get a binder and create my own but looking for different ideas.

I looked on Red Dot first, but didn't spot any, so I went to trusty Amazon:
Defensive Handgun Training Logbook

Once I get it, I'll insert past training and document proof best I can, then have Red Dot sign off on the courses I've taken there so far.

Thanks all!

RE: Training Log Book - jfergus7 - 09-10-2015

That's awesome can you give a little review of the pages and content in it after you receive it? Might have to pick one up for myself!

RE: Training Log Book - ssphoto - 09-10-2015

Thumbup
(09-10-2015, 01:40 PM)jfergus7 Wrote: That's awesome can you give a little review of the pages and content in it after you receive it? Might have to pick one up for myself!

RE: Training Log Book - ssphoto - 09-16-2015

I got my book finally. It is REALLY in depth, almost to a point of being intimidating. I looks like it's preparing you for the Pro circuit! I'm not sure how I'll use it the way it's intended. I much rather use AcilletaM's spreadsheet. I'll probably tweak it a bit.

It has a section on Dry Fire Performance, in three different Phases: Stationaly Draw, Pivoting Draw, and One Handed Draw. Also a Maintenance section.
Then it has a Live Fire Training Session log: Phase 1: Extend Prep and Press - Alt target area; Extend Prep and Press - one handed / Stationary draw / Stationary reload.
Then Phase 2: Pivoting Draw / Stepping Draw / Stepping reload / Fail to Stop drill
Then Phase 3: One handed survival drill / Shoot and Move / Extreme close quarters; then a Maintenance section.

Once you break it out and commit to using it I guess it's not too bad.

Training Log Book - AcilletaM - 09-16-2015

My spreadsheet is a work in progress. I would be interested in what changes you make.

Training Log Book - jfergus7 - 09-16-2015

I was thinking of maybe trying to create a spreadsheet but might check out the book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Training Log Book - jfergus7 - 09-16-2015

AcilletaM any chance you can post up some screen shots of what you put together or some way I can check it out? Really interested in how you set it up.

RE: Training Log Book - fromtheplaines - 09-17-2015

If you don't mind me asking what is the point if getting some one to note you took a class?

RE: Training Log Book - AcilletaM - 09-17-2015

(09-16-2015, 11:28 PM)jfergus7 Wrote: AcilletaM any chance you can post up some screen shots of what you put together or some way I can check it out? Really interested in how you set it up.

First post of this thread I posted the spreadsheets themselves.

There are 4 sheets: training log, maintenance log, firearm acquisition & disposition log, and rounds fired log. I have tweaked these a little bit since I uploaded them last though nothing major and created a couple more since then for handload data and recording scenarios.

You can also see it in action if you are attending the PPOTH or Basic Rifle classes.

RE: Training Log Book - jfergus7 - 09-17-2015

That's awesome thanks for the link! Really like how you have it setup! Think I am going to give that a try for now and see how it works!

RE: Training Log Book - AcilletaM - 09-17-2015

(09-17-2015, 12:52 AM)fromtheplaines Wrote: If you don't mind me asking what is the point if getting some one to note you took a class?

If you are ever taken to court because you shot someone in self-defense it is part of your defense that you are not some yahoo cowboy with a gun but somebody who took their personal protection seriously and acted appropriately. It is another level of proof you actually attended the class. I'm speaking generically here but I would not be surprised if there are instructors who only have records of who signed up and paid for a class. They may not have a record of you actually attending. It also gives the instructor a chance to review what you wrote down and correct anything that is wrong since he is putting his signature on it. The instructor can also add any comments at that time such as what I did well or what I should work on. It is evidence that you took your training seriously - you took notes on what was taught, what you did, what you used, and then gave the instructor a chance to add his input.

RE: Training Log Book - mikereddot - 09-20-2015

(09-17-2015, 01:28 PM)AcilletaM Wrote:
(09-17-2015, 12:52 AM)fromtheplaines Wrote: If you don't mind me asking what is the point if getting some one to note you took a class?

If you are ever taken to court because you shot someone in self-defense it is part of your defense that you are not some yahoo cowboy with a gun but somebody who took their personal protection seriously and acted appropriately. It is another level of proof you actually attended the class. I'm speaking generically here but I would not be surprised if there are instructors who only have records of who signed up and paid for a class. They may not have a record of you actually attending. It also gives the instructor a chance to review what you wrote down and correct anything that is wrong since he is putting his signature on it. The instructor can also add any comments at that time such as what I did well or what I should work on. It is evidence that you took your training seriously - you took notes on what was taught, what you did, what you used, and then gave the instructor a chance to add his input.

This is a wonderful idea.

Something else you could do is make copies of the these notes everyone in a while, put copies in two envelops, and mail one to yourself. You keep the un-mailed one for your lawyer, so he knows what is in it. Then while in court, he opens the mailed one and enters in as evidence. That way you can prove certain things you knew...I.E. the Tuller Drill.

RE: Training Log Book - AcilletaM - 10-06-2015

Article from Gun Digest's site called Document Your Self-Defense Training from Marty Hayes. A better explanation of the reasons why you should document your training.

RE: Training Log Book - mikereddot - 10-07-2015

I wonder if a meeting at the shop for all to discuss this would be of interest?