Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: Preparing for multiple people
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright since I am thinking about my bug out setup that I am working to put together got me thinking. If you are working on a plan that includes multiple adults how do you create your plan. Do you setup packs for each person to be individually sufficient or do you pack as a team. For example do you create a pack for each person with each pack consisting of food, clothing, shelter, etc.... or do you pack as a group with each carrying different things. Instead of single man tents pack multiple person tents, etc.....

I am thinking the single man packs idea would be best if something were to happen you wouldn't find yourself in a situation alone without gear but what are all of your thoughts?
It's unknown territory. I am just planning for 8 being able to support 8 people bugging out. I only really plan on 4 people, but I am sure there will some refugees I cannot turn away. Some things I buy 8 of. Like emergency bivys (SOL snowmobile), blankets, life straws, SOS emergency rations, etc... Some things they will have to deal with what they bring. Obviously backpacks, etc are their problem. If everyone in your group is a prepper, then you can deal with trying to standardizing kits.

Have 8 preppers put together a BOB, and I assure you no two will be close...
Anyone know where to inexpensive but decent quality weather radios?
The thing is with a group is always difficult to figure out how much I my self understand this but what I found easy is name everyone be self sufficient shop that none is every lacking and also if someone losses a bag in some way shape or form it doesn't hurt the group but also remember ppl are not always trustworthy

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
(11-05-2014, 07:09 PM)Brian S Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know where to inexpensive but decent quality weather radios?

I have a Standard Horizon HX750S. It's a VHF Marine radio, but it has a NOAA receiver. You can only use the VHF on water, but they make a good quality radio and I use the NOAA for weather everywhere, even at home.

This model might be discontinues, but all their radios are good and most have NOAA.

http://marine-electronics-reviews.com/st...50s-2.html
The portable HAM radio our group uses Yaesu FT-60R has built in weather bands... We also use a HQ500 multi-band radio receiver, 7 NOAA weather bands, 2 shortwave, AM/FM bands (Crank, Battery, Solar, A/C powered). The FT-60R requires a Ham License (Technician) to broadcast. The FT-60R is about $150, the HQ500 was about ($50)
Thoughts about batteries on these radios? The examples above state they have internal rechargeable. Wouldn't it be best to be able to handle removeable batteries? If not, is it OK to leave the radio on the charger even though you may not use it for months?
Establish a group standard. Our group uses Yaesu FT-60R's (2m, 5 watt). They use standard rechargable AA (4) or standard AA or the the battery recharge pack. We can use solar to recharge either of the rechargable battery packs. We leave the heavy Ham lifting to our communications guy.

But in a pinch, any Ham radio will do. We standardized, so we all know how to use what we have, and have programmed the same repeaters, etc into each one.

But there are many options out there, all reasonably good.
I prefer rechargeable over standard because I have one of these....

Solar panels.

[Image: nomad7-pdp-1500x1000-black-and-camo1.jpg]
(11-05-2014, 07:09 PM)Brian S Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know where to inexpensive but decent quality weather radios?

I like Grundigs
http://www.amazon.com/Eton-Shortwave-Var...TRCMT78FHG