Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: Any other Bow shooters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've gotten into Archery a lot more in recent months, picked up a Bear compound bow. Got it all dialed in and have been shooting damn near daily.

What set up are y'all running?Big Grin
hmmm... never did anything with a bow before. And I do drive by a place called Cimmarron Archery (on Rt. 12) all the time. I'll follow this section with interest! Do you plan to hunt with the Bow? Practice with it for SHTF? Or is it just for competitive shooting?
Mostly hunting purposed. I would love to take her down to texas for a hog hunt. Otherwise it is 100% super fun to shoot. not even on a competitive level.
My friend and I were shooting bows for a little while. His data friend gave him a compound bow and we shoot it a good bit on my parents property. It would be an awesome sport to really get into. Any plans for hunting this year with it?
(09-18-2014, 10:04 PM)RJDSRT Wrote: [ -> ]Mostly hunting purposed. I would love to take her down to texas for a hog hunt. Otherwise it is 100% super fun to shoot. not even on a competitive level.

Have you seen the size of some of those hogs down there? I've seen one of those hogs take a half dozen 5.56 rounds and still run 20 yards.

I attached a pic of my buddy, he brought this one down with one shot (from a Springfield M1A). Now mind you he's a big guy, 6'4", 270. Notice his hot dogging it with the single .308 spent casing on the Hog... [Image: photo.jpg]

And P.S. That's how I feel about firearms! Super fun to shoot! Give a day at the range anytime! Smile
haha. That guy in the photo stood back farther to make the hog look biggger Smile
You're braver than me. Those hogs can be mean. Compare the hog to the spent .308 casing. The pig weighed in at over 300lbs. I'd just be careful with a bow hunt for those, but your young, and prolly can climb a tree fast...
So tell us what you have learned about the bow and archery in general. Was this bow a good choice? What would you look for in a bow? Type of arrows to use? What is effective range? How much strength does it take to draw the bow?
I gave a bow but it's one if the older wood types. I think I bit off a little to much. It has a 90 pound draw. So for a beginner's bow it's a little hard to work on the fundamentals. I wouldn't hunt with it though. I don't think it would be a clean enough kill. So I am a ok with trying to hit targets for the foreseeable future
The bear was a great choice, any compound you buy gets set up to your draw length and weight. Mine is set up for a 31" draw @70lbs. That gives me the most energy with my shot. Bear and Hoyt have a lot awesome bows out
I am a die hard bowhunter for the last 10 years or so!!! As for the mention of Midwest Cimmeron Archery I would never in my life purchase anything from them and don't judge archery shops based on that one. That place is a mess. Any archery questions please feel free to ask!
Thanks for that advice on Cimmeron. I've never been in there, just noticed the place as I drive past. I am not really in the market for any bow. Just interested in it from Prepping view point. I'd have to agree on the clean kill for hunting. Maybe if I went hunting with someone that knew what they were doing, I'd learn a lot. I cannot hurt to learn about them.
It is pretty messy in there! They do have a lot of stuff though.
I will say the only great thing about Midwest Cimmeron is the 3D course they have out back. That is truly a great course and well worth it.
If you need shop recommendations just let me know. Think I have been to just about every shop in the area.
(09-18-2014, 06:43 PM)RJDSRT Wrote: [ -> ]What set up are y'all running?Big Grin

I am a staff member for Bowhunting.com so I am committed to shooting a few contracted brands.

I shoot a Mathews Helim(waiting on new models to come out next week)
Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streaks
NAP Killzones
I tried learning to shoot a bow a few times and never could get the hang of it.
Now I'm sorry I never put more dedication into it.
That just means whoever setup the bow you tried did a lousy job. A bow is a real easy thing to shoot once it is properly fitted to you. Should give it another try.