Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: Grip Angle Doesn’t Matter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well to me it matters... All my guns have 1911 type grip angles. It is probably why I don't care for Glocks.
(08-23-2015, 05:50 PM)BelieveIn308 Wrote: [ -> ]Well to me it matters... All my guns have 1911 type grip angles. It is probably why I don't care for Glocks.

I have a slightly tricked out 1911 and I shoot just fine with it. I also have Ruger, and Glock and I shoot just fine with all of them. When I buy my next "Other Brand Pistol" I sure with the proper practice, I will shoot just fine.

They way I read this article: What’s going to make a bigger difference in how well you can handle a firearm? The grip angle, or consistent practice?

Don’t worry about whether or not your pistol “points” right for you or not. Do your research, and purchase the most reliable firearm your budget allows. For everything else, a little bit of intentional, focused practice can be truly priceless
I'd agree with it. I'd say there most likely is a certain one that will ping a bit more naturally for you.. However like stated, practice is much more important, and that's something you can easily train on.
(08-24-2015, 06:40 PM)Ringo3632 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd agree with it. I'd say there most likely is a certain one that will ping a bit more naturally for you.. However like stated, practice is much more important, and that's something you can easily train on.

I look at like a backhoe operator. Some like two sticks, some like four sticks and some like pilot controls. A really good hoe operator can jump on anything and with in a short time ( if it took him/her that long) they will be in full control and operating safely.
I came to computers and guns later in life, therefore I came with an open mind and little prejudice. One of the first things I learned in both was they are filled with people who learn a little and know a lot, or rather they think they know a lot.

Ergonomics is a science and any time you are using your body to interact with a device, ergonomics comes into play. It is not a marketing gimmick, albeit the purveyors of marketing gimmicks certainly know how to exploit it as they do anything.

He is correct that if you have proper technique and form you can pick up any gun that allows a proper grip, i.e. fit as he defines it, and shoot it well.

However, performance is only one part of ergonomics and not the most important part. Ergonomics is about how your body reacts over time, i.e. fatigue, injury, recovery, etc. This is science, and this is real, and as you age it becomes even more important.

It sounds more like the author fell prey to the purveyors of marketing gimmicks at Glock and since discovered the superiority of the 1911 and is now searching for a justification to remain.

Silly boy should know it is o.k. to own many guns, so just get the 1911 and shoot them all. You will love them all differently and the same, just like your children. Smile
(08-26-2015, 08:18 AM)Dutz Wrote: [ -> ]Silly boy should know it is o.k. to own many guns, so just get the 1911 and shoot them all. You will love them all differently and the same, just like your children. Smile

I agree! OWN MANY GUNS and have fun collecting. Most of all, treat each one with the respect it deserves.
Dutz you made two good points.. One of which, I already agree with like Brad said, OWN MANY GUNS!!! lol

The other I agree with but it just didn't even cross my mind before about it fatiguing the shooter if it had an incorrect grip angle.. I have very limited experience with Glocks, but the few times I shot them it didn't take much for me to handle it. But now that I've gotten much more accustomed to my Springfield, I'd want to spend more time on a Glock and see if it bothers me, or wears me down more...

Sounds like I'll need a 9mm Glock and a lot of ammo! Because that sounds like the most fun way to test it... Haha