Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: Custom Fitz'ed Colt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a contribution to this section!

I bought this 1948 Colt Official Police .38 Special for a low price because it was in pretty rough shape on the outside. The action was tight though. The barrel was crusted with orange rust inside.

[Image: ColtOfficialPolice001.jpg]

[Image: ColtOfficialPolice002.jpg]

A co-worker had given me an old glass peanut butter jar full of oil and gun parts. Inside was a custom 2" Colt Official Police .38 Special cut-down barrel. That gave me the idea to have one of my favorite firearms created. I turned the project over to my gunsmith friend and told him I wanted a custom Colt revolver like the Fitz-Colts created by John Henry Fitzgerald when he worked for Colt in the early 1900s. "Fitz" cut the barrel's down to 2", bobbed the hammers so they would snag during a pocket draw, and he cut away the front of the trigger guard (Fitz had HUGE fingers and he found this quickened his ability to draw and fire).

[Image: ColtFitzEngraved017.jpg]

[Image: ColtFitzEngraved020.jpg]

In addition to the metal work, I had the Colt re-blued and engraved with 75% coverage American Scroll by Michael Gouse. The handles are American Elk horn with the original Colt medallions from the factory wood grips. A Saquaro leather custom holster with silver Mercury dimes makes the entire package.

What do you think?
Holy crap! What an awesome gun!! Drool Drool Drool

Thanks for sharing!
Incredible outcome... Great looking piece with a story behind it!
Thanks for the compliments! When I ordered the holster over the phone, the leather maker asked me if I wanted silver Mercury dimes instead of just screw heads. I said, "Sure!"

When the holster arrived, I was stunned to find that the years on the dimes were 1927 and 1929. Totally by coincidence, those are the years that my dad and my mom were born. They're both passed away now. It just made the entire project that much more special.
That is a great looking Colt. I like the scrolling and grips.
That's amazing. And a good story. Congrats! Hope it serves you well!
(07-18-2014, 10:06 PM)mm6mm6 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a contribution to this section!

I bought this 1948 Colt Official Police .38 Special for a low price because it was in pretty rough shape on the outside. The action was tight though. The barrel was crusted with orange rust inside.

[Image: ColtOfficialPolice001.jpg]

[Image: ColtOfficialPolice002.jpg]

A co-worker had given me an old glass peanut butter jar full of oil and gun parts. Inside was a custom 2" Colt Official Police .38 Special cut-down barrel. That gave me the idea to have one of my favorite firearms created. I turned the project over to my gunsmith friend and told him I wanted a custom Colt revolver like the Fitz-Colts created by John Henry Fitzgerald when he worked for Colt in the early 1900s. "Fitz" cut the barrel's down to 2", bobbed the hammers so they would snag during a pocket draw, and he cut away the front of the trigger guard (Fitz had HUGE fingers and he found this quickened his ability to draw and fire).

[Image: ColtFitzEngraved017.jpg]

[Image: ColtFitzEngraved020.jpg]

In addition to the metal work, I had the Colt re-blued and engraved with 75% coverage American Scroll by Michael Gouse. The handles are American Elk horn with the original Colt medallions from the factory wood grips. A Saquaro leather custom holster with silver Mercury dimes makes the entire package.

What do you think?

Excellent!
That is just beautiful! Not a huge revolver fan but really like this one!
Beautiful gun.
Does it still identify as a Colt?

Sweet little rig!