Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: favorite shells
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have a favorite shell they use?. Currently I am using federals 7.5. They are faster than the gun club. I like to take a moment longer to shoot my targets so I think the extra 50 fps helps there. For skeet I more or less just reload winchester AA with an ounce of 9 shot.
hmmm... I doubt I am good enough with a shotgun yet to even notice a small increase in velocity yet. Thanks for the tip though! Do you find yourself adjusting to the velocity of the shells, or you just are more in sync with the increased speed?
I guess the best way to say it. I started off shooting rems and didn't like them. Since I was shooting 20 gauge and federal charged 50 cents less per box. So when I moved into 12 I just kept up with them. I bought some rems in 12 and I was missing the extreme right to left shots I normally hit. For example for the two games with Feds I hit 23 and 21. But with rems it was 19. One of the serious leaguers mentiond that rems were slower. The fps difference was 50. So my brain was calculating my normal lead, but the slower shell was messing with me. Not a huge difference, but I would rather have a 21 than a 19. So I would say once you find a shell you like keep with it
Being a new Shotgun guy, I appreciate the comment! I never gave any thought to the shells I use. Old dogs can learn new stuff.
You're welcome. I didn't think about it much either just like the size of the shot, but the nice thing about joining a league is there are guys who have forgotten more than I have learned. And normally they are pretty cool about sharing.
That's pretty nifty and good to keep in mind. I'm glad I read this so it'll kind of be in my mind for me to pay attention to. Just like 308 I'm new to the shotgun scene but I'm looking forward to learning much more!
I have a guy willing to sell me a few cases of ammo at a loss. It is much faster than what he is used to.He thought it would help him on the back lines and messed him up. The price is tempting, but why pretty much do the same thing. Finally broke the 40 target barrier shooting one game at the 19 yard line, so what I am using is working.
fromtheplaines, where to you go to shoot?
I am a member of the dreaded cckc ;)