Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: a little help please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
my grandfather brought home a rifle from when he served in WW2.
I did a little research and have come to terms that it is not a very good rifle but seeing that when it was handed to me it still had what appeared to be packing grease i would like to be the first person to fire it. and just would be honored to. however im scared it may be tampered or not manufactured with quality to fire it after all these years. it is in mint condition to the eye but i do not know enough to say its good to shoot. how can i figure that out?
Just curious what rifle is it?
I'm curious about it and what research you did as well. My recommendation is to bring it to a gunsmith for a thorough inspection. After the Japanese surrendered many US soldiers brought home unfired last ditch Arisakas that should not be fired.
(05-19-2015, 06:59 AM)Dutz Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious what rifle is it?

it is an arisaka i think type 99
(05-19-2015, 09:01 AM)AcilletaM Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about it and what research you did as well. My recommendation is to bring it to a gunsmith for a thorough inspection. After the Japanese surrendered many US soldiers brought home unfired last ditch Arisakas that should not be fired.

that is exactly what i found out through my research on it and why i have been scared to shoot it, not to mention i have only seen the bullets manufactured through norma at 50 bucks a box. it has the chrysanthemum and air plane sites on it, so i thought that was neat. but from what i see it has no value other than personal value
You can bring it to us and we'll disassemble and clean the whole thing up for you. We can also inspect it and see if it lookslike it would be ok to fire and check the headspace and cycle some dummy rounds through it. It is not always possible to find structural flaws in the metal though, but we will give you as thorough of an assessment as possible. Feel free to call the shop or email me at david@rdarms.com if you have any more questions.
(05-19-2015, 11:58 AM)David@reddot Wrote: [ -> ]You can bring it to us and we'll disassemble and clean the whole thing up for you. We can also inspect it and see if it lookslike it would be ok to fire and check the headspace and cycle some dummy rounds through it. It is not always possible to find structural flaws in the metal though, but we will give you as thorough of an assessment as possible. Feel free to call the shop or email me at david@rdarms.com if you have any more questions.

okay i will do that, i have had it for all of these years just sitting in the closet. i am anxious to hopefully get to fire it
(05-19-2015, 11:56 AM)nickdemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2015, 09:01 AM)AcilletaM Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about it and what research you did as well. My recommendation is to bring it to a gunsmith for a thorough inspection. After the Japanese surrendered many US soldiers brought home unfired last ditch Arisakas that should not be fired.

that is exactly what i found out through my research on it and why i have been scared to shoot it, not to mention i have only seen the bullets manufactured through norma at 50 bucks a box. it has the chrysanthemum and air plane sites on it, so i thought that was neat. but from what i see it has no value other than personal value
Type 99s with the chrysanthemum intact and the AA sight wings are not that common so that is pretty cool. Do you have the monopod, dust cover, bayonet, or cleaning rod? The last ditch versions didn't even get the chrysanthemum engraved. The barrel should be chrome lined so it should be in pretty good condition. One thing you should have David check is if it still takes 7.7x58 Arisaka because many were converted to fire .30-06.

$50 for the 7.7 ammo is on the low end of prices I've seen.
I think there is a guy at the gun shows who makes that round. I don't know his name but he sells a ton of old ammo and I overheard him talking about it.
(05-19-2015, 03:30 PM)AcilletaM Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2015, 11:56 AM)nickdemo Wrote: [ -> ]

Type 99s with the chrysanthemum intact and the AA sight wings are not that common so that is pretty cool. Do you have the monopod, dust cover, bayonet, or cleaning rod? The last ditch versions didn't even get the chrysanthemum engraved. The barrel should be chrome lined so it should be in pretty good condition. One thing you should have David check is if it still takes 7.7x58 Arisaka because many were converted to fire .30-06.

$50 for the 7.7 ammo is on the low end of prices I've seen.

i have the cleaning rod and sling with it, was thinking about using ebay to fill the rest. and it is in very good shape, the wood is as well, not cracks or gouges, the metal looks new. and i did not know that about the 30-06 i will look in to that thanks.
(05-19-2015, 04:38 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote: [ -> ]I think there is a guy at the gun shows who makes that round. I don't know his name but he sells a ton of old ammo and I overheard him talking about it.

what gun shows? im fairly new to the area and have not yet attended a gun show but i am very interested in going to one?
I have seen him at the one in mchenry and the one at Bristol . If you see a guy there with a ton off boxes of odd ammo and I mean a full table that is him. He seems to specialize on odd cailbers
(05-19-2015, 09:25 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen him at the one in mchenry and the one at Bristol . If you see a guy there with a ton off boxes of odd ammo and I mean a full table that is him. He seems to specialize on odd cailbers

i live about a mile away from the bristol club, i will check that one out, are there certain days or are they every once in a while, or is it something i would have to call them about? sorry for the million questions, i am still in the learning phase
No worries about questions, that is how you figure things out so ask away. they have a gun show ever so often,I don't have the dates off of the top of my head. But when I stop by on the weekend I will check and give you a heads up. But they have posters up at the rifle range and shotgun range advertising the dates.
(05-20-2015, 12:04 AM)fromtheplaines Wrote: [ -> ]No worries about questions, that is how you figure things out so ask away. they have a gun show ever so often,I don't have the dates off of the top of my head. But when I stop by on the weekend I will check and give you a heads up. But they have posters up at the rifle range and shotgun range advertising the dates.

i would love to use their range but the only single load rifles i have is a ww2 jap7 that i dont know if it fires and my sons 22 cricket, lol i would love to take my AR out there but they do not allow it. i have had my first AR for 3 months now and i have never fired it! its driving me crazy!!!!! lol but its on my way home from work it wouldnt kill me to stop in and check to see what events they have going on, but if u find out i would sure love the heads up
They allow AR it is a single load, unless you do a magazine check that it is 5 rounds but you would check with the RO. You can also train for the high power matches that would allow for mire than one round. But you need to check with the RO first. Your sons 22 on the 50 yard range would allow 5 rounds. If you haven't shot it yet you may want to go to bass pro shops. They have a rifle range that is 8 bucks I believe either a half an hour or hour. As long as you have us made ammo you can use their rifle tube. It's not super fun, but it's a really cheap way to get your rifle sighted in. Nothing sucks like going to a range setting up and not knowing where you are hitting.
Yeah I think $8 is for the half hour, and $16 for a whole hour. My brother n I brought our shotguns there to fire a couple of slugs down the tunnel. Haven't had many chances to use it so we had a good time.
(05-20-2015, 08:45 AM)Ringo3632 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I think $8 is for the half hour, and $16 for a whole hour. My brother n I brought our shotguns there to fire a couple of slugs down the tunnel. Haven't had many chances to use it so we had a good time.
Bass Pro is getting funny with the rules now too. Last time I was there they were directing all rifles to the rifle tube, including .22s.
(05-19-2015, 10:52 PM)nickdemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2015, 09:25 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen him at the one in mchenry and the one at Bristol . If you see a guy there with a ton off boxes of odd ammo and I mean a full table that is him. He seems to specialize on odd cailbers

i live about a mile away from the bristol club, i will check that one out, are there certain days or are they every once in a while, or is it something i would have to call them about? sorry for the million questions, i am still in the learning phase
Don't worry about asking questions, we don't mind.
Just go to McMiller, no idiotic rules, much friendlier and $16 for the DAY ($22 if you are going to use the 300 yd range). A way better SAFE range.
Pages: 1 2