Red Dot Arms Forum

Full Version: Mosin rehab
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I would like to post as I go but I get sidetracked easily. I have Mosin that I picked up last year from AIMSurplus for a decent $. Bought one with the octagonal barrel. It's year stamp was 1928. The first thing I noticed was the horrible stain that had been smeared onto it.

Spent some time breaking it down and doing some cleaning and inspecting before I took it out for some fun. Love it, and might get another. I like the character and history so I am not going to sand out the stamps, dents or dings that are in the stock.

Here it is broken down
And here it is in all its naked glory. Decided since I was doing one, why not two. So started working on the .50 black powder my father so kindly forgot to take with him.

hmm, not seeing the pic for this. Maybe try again later. Or is it that I am limited on pics? hmm
I purchased a Mosin last year, I stripped every piece of metal of the gun soaked it in mineral spirits to get all the cosmoline off, then cleaned the barrel, then cleaned it with copper solvent, and re-cleaned it. Used a hair dryer on the wood to sweat the cosmoline out. whipped it down, did this about 4 times... I was thinking about putting it on my grill and setting the temp control to bake it for a couple hours... It still leaches a little cosmoline but whips clean now. It is a really good shooter. I might have to get one of those archangel stocks for it, but I kinda like it as it is...
Good luck. I own one but I am not too crazy about them myself.
I know... It turned out to be a really good shooter, and a gun that screams it can hit a target far away, and yet the 18" bayonet says cold steel is the best deal... The fact that the rifle has been around more than a century, and people still shoot them, speaks volumes.
I still haven't done anything about the cosmoline and I truly had forgotten that bit until reading your mosin cleanup last night. Ughh. Hmm. Hair dryer too noisy. Would it leave something behind in an oven?

Either way I'm just glad that I procrastinate. Otherwise it may have been stained and sealed by now.
I just used a good degreaser and cleaned cleaned cleaned. I didn't mess with the oven since if something screwed up I would never hear the end of it.
My oven's too small, but the grill is huge... I figured fire the puppy up, heat it to 200 degrees turn it off and bake the wood... I worried something might go wrong too... I guess then the archangel stock is a must...
Yeah, well in the grill, you have to remember to turn it 45 degress to have those nice grill marks. Smile Smile
Here she is.
You guys make me want one of these for the experience. Sounds like a pain but fun at the same time
Eh they are ok, if they were not so cheap I don't think most if us would even look at them.
Haha yeah that's the tempting part. But I know that's money that I could put towards my ar instead. But it is fun looking at the projects you guys have with them and how easy one turns out from different people.
If you like bolt guns, this is a classic. I really think for the money, a Mosin is tough to beat. They are basic military guns. Like a Mauser or 1903 Springfield, but way cheaper. Mine is a really good shooter. And it is something about the long bayonet... But the simple fact that a bolt gun from the 1890's is still even seen at the range tells you their popularity. The Russian corrosive ammo, is still dirt cheap, (440 rounds for under $100). The 7.62x54R cartridge is powerful. You can hunt with it. It has great iron sights. And a really good one can be had for $150.
(05-11-2015, 07:20 AM)Ringo3632 Wrote: [ -> ]Haha yeah that's the tempting part. But I know that's money that I could put towards my ar instead. But it is fun looking at the projects you guys have with them and how easy one turns out from different people.

I would put the money to the AR. Quality over quantity. The project can be fun but at the end if it. But it's still a mosin, and if you start talking about upgrading part ie he stock, you can get to the point of paying more in upgrades than the gun is worth.
True that... I'm dying to finish it and always get tempted with various other firearms.. But so far I've kept my eyes on the goal and stayed true! Plus once I have the ar I know it'll keep me busy for a long time to come...

But when I get rich... I will get one... Lol
Ringo, the Mosin-Nagant is considered a 'poor man's' rifle... LOL
I think the only upgrade I will be doing is some sort of scope. And, I want to build a rifle through individual parts. I would love to build an AR.